anti-stall, fast idle speed etc on 306xtdt

Hello

I have had my peugeot 306 xtdt for about 4 months and was just intrigued to learn more about diesels etc.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the purpose of the anti-stall and fast idle speeds are?

I haven't got any probs with the car and believe the speeds are correct, I just want to learn more about the dang thing cause it's great!

Cheers, Rich

Reply to
Richard

You should buy the Bosch Technical Manual. It's Bosch no. is 1 987 722

164 and it's ISBN is 3-934584-38-1.
's about £15.

The fast idle ups the tickover by 100revs for cold starting. It's done on the early engines by a cable from a block in the side of the thermostat housing. The effect of the cable is to advance the injection point. I can't find a reason for the anti-stall because Bosch don't use that term in the book.

Reply to
yeha

Hello,

I don't really agree with Yeha's answer, the fast idle plays on throttle to speed up engine (about 100RPM, I agree) for cold start. It's now fully automatic with a cable (manual command on older Diesels), or by ECU (on HDis for example).

What you call "anti stall" is known here as "Torque regulator" ("régulateur de couple") and is intended to maximize low revs use in drive. With that, you can start just with clutch and no throttle, run at idle speed on 1st &

2nd gears. That's the reason why people often say "you can't stall with a Diesel".

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

In article , yeha writes

Hmm on this topic I think I may have a minor developing problem on my

306TD. My normal commute is around 50 miles each way - most of which is quick motorway (M62, LeedsHull). If I leave the car around 30 minutes before going to restart it always start first time but very occasionally it will struggle to get to normal tickover, normally varying between 500rpm and 1200rpm approx. This lasts only 3-4 seconds before it will either stall or tickover will level off as normal. Pumping the pedal makes no difference whatsoever, and if it stalls it always starts first time next time and ticks over normally.

Anybody got any clues? It happens so rarely that I'm not going to rummage around myself, but it could be something for me to ask my local mechanic to check out at the next oil/filter change.

Thanks

Reply to
Mike Buckley

I can't offer an explanantion, but I am interested - once, when I stopped at a junction, the idle speed of my 205 TD oscillated up and down for several seconds. It has never done it since, so I haven't had the opportunity to try to diagnose what might have caused it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone figures it out.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Air bubbles in the fuel line caused my 205 1.7d to have an erratic tickover sometimes, could it be that?

Ollie

Reply to
Ollie Walsh

Hello Ollie,

I was going to tell the same. It happened twice to my brother ('91 205 DTurbo), due to cracked fuel pipes (once the pipe that runs under the bonnet, once the one which is under the car, between tank & the steel pipe).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

so basically - even on a really steep hill i still won't need any throttle?

("régulateur

Reply to
Richard

I'd agree except that it only did it once and hasn't done it once in the 6 months and 10000 miles since (self healing fuel pipes? :-) I did have a split fuel pipe a year or so ago - the rubber pipe which feeds the fuel filter was split where it joins the metal fuel pipe from the tank, but that just caused poor starting and hesitation, not a regular oscillation.

all the best, Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Hello,

Don't know...

... but it randomly happened to my brother, causing poor start, and / or oscillating idle, or slightly too high idle (if a 1000RPM is too high, anyway it isn't far too high. Really a pain when it's at 2kRPM and you're coming back to home at 3:00 AM). He replaced cracked fuel pipes, no problem ever. So it could well be a way to go. Not that a painful job, just count 1 or 2 meter of fuel hose.

Interesting point I guess, my '93 205 still hasn't this problem, although it becomes a bit old - I mean, 10 years isn't that bad for a std quality plastic part.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T