any one.

Hi Group. I dont see many people on here talking about 405s is it because they have all gone out of the u,k,or have they all just died away, thanks from chris in Addlestone Surrey.

Reply to
Chris

Neither - I still see shedloads of them around. I sold one myself 2 weeks ago - still going strong at 11 years and 150k.

Most of the problems you can have with them have been had, and asked about, so you can find the answers on google groups without having to post new questions.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yes mine is a 1992 and has 247miles.plus on a diesel it has been serviced.and it still has power when i need it, i am very happy with this car,also it is my first diesel. thanks from chris addlestone surrey.

Reply to
Chris

I sold my 405 Hunter TD estate a year ago, and still regret it. Still, got a 307 SW now, which is rather nice. Brian.

Reply to
Brian

And our 1992 405 TD estate which has just topped 100k. In three years and 50k it has had a clutch, cam belt, recon back suspension, various brakes, a windscreen, and the usual 405 problems of heater matrix and door locks. It's cost us well under £2k a year all up, including insurance, tax, AA, repairs and diesel. (You could lose that on Day 1 buying a new car). Never failed to start and run and goes great around London and on the motorway, fully loaded across France and taking stuff to the dump. Sometimes I think about 406s ... but they seem even more complicated with fiddly faults. You still see a lot of 405 estates being sold on the net and on Ebay, mainly cheap, but a goodun still catches a good price.

Reply to
Wichita

So my poor old car has got a lot of miles on the clock.like i say it gos very well, and has just passed it M.O.T.again for the 3rd year that i have had it,the only thing i have had problems with is the deisel pump leak which i had repaired by Watson Diesels in Wimbleton ,and i was very happy with the service that they gave me, from chris in Addlestone Surrey.

Reply to
Chris

i have an 1989 f reg 405 diesel, with 150000 miles on the clock.i have had the car for about 3 years.in that time i have had 3 head gaskets and one head fitted in the first year(first 2 gaskets went in 6 months of being fitted,garage did not skim head/pressure test ect.).another garage done the job 18 months ago no problems since.front off side brake caliper seizing up causing wheel trim to melt.and after a 60mph a run down the lanes with wife and kids in the car, going through ludlow in traffic at

5mph no brakes oh f"$k.this was caused by brake fade by the seized caliper above.the last other major problem car went in for handbrake adjustment,went back cause handbrake lever was to high,another mechanic readjusted them not knowing about the first adjustment,hense over adjustment and no brakes after a run down the motorway,and showing its self on muckdonlds car park,their was a burning smell but thought it was fom the lorry in front.other than this,this has beem my first deisel and i have enjoyed owning it.
Reply to
wolves

forgot to mention one headache caused by what was thought to be a leaking injector. 6 visits to 3 differnt garages.and the cause, the rubber blanking plug on no4 injector had a fine hole in it.

Reply to
wolves

Yes, Watson Deisel are good, I used them many years ago when they were in Mortlake.

Reply to
Brian

I bought my father in law's 405 in 2001 for £350, an L-reg 2-litre Sti. He always bought cars from his company, driven by one manager at his firm and never had problems with any of his cars. I got it with 161,000 miles. It had a constant leak from the back of the rocker box (I never got round to it, I don't pay for oil) and every year had the rear callipers and handbrake mechanism unseized and lubricated for the MOT. Four years, a cam belt, 3 services and a ball joint later, I sold it to a mate for £150 more than I bought it for, but that included 2 brand new Pirellis in the boot that I paid £50 for and a brand new complete exhaust, £25 off E bay. He loves it and it passed it's last MOT with just the rear callipers done again. It's now done 184,000 on the original clutch, with no major work on the engine. he still hasn't done the rocker cover leak and I think the strut top mounts have gone weak. I moved to a Rover 620 I got from another friend with a similar history and had owned for a couple of years, and now to a Mondeo that was very cheap. I hate spending money on motoring.

-- r