Approx cost of brake work (Pug 306, 1998)

Blimey, what can I say, somebody put it so well with

*Bwahhhhaaaaaahaaaahaaaa*

They saw you coming. - Hook, rod, line, sinker and copy of angling times...

I replaced on my 406 estate recently with parts from GSF :-

new front disks new Front Pads new Front pin-set Full fluid flush with dot5 fluid *Purchased a gunsons easy-bleed* new Full three part hand brake cable set Hand brake lever (Breakers) New Rear disks with centre drum new rear shoes rear callipers (Breakers) - Off a nearly new car, I am not a complete nutter.. new Rear brake backplates (Genuine Peugeot £90 for two....)

4 new tyres (Conti's) £180 for set fitted.

......................... All for less than you paid :)

Andy - Sorry to be so blunt, but I hate fast-f*ck centres...

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Towards the end of last week I was experiencing the rear drums sticking after applying the handbrake, so I wanted it checked out. Tues/Wed wife needed car to get to work (same every Tues/Wed). Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun I'm unavailable, but need the car to pick things up. Monday lunchtime was the only time I could get it into the garage for a check. Once I noticed a recurring problem with the brakes, I wasn't about to turn a blind eye to it for another week or so. So, I didn't have time to check it myself during the week, and Monday lunchtime was the only available opportunity for getting someone to check it.

Now, if I'd known the problem, and the sorts of prices they'd be charging, I'd have done it myself with the advice/help from my Dad who's done brake cylinders etc before. Even paying for their travel + a hotel + new tools and taking unpaid leave would have been cheaper!!! However, once the wheels

  • drums were all off, and they were saying it was unsafe to drive - it became difficult to see any other option than to just accept the charge and try and sort it out later. Knowing that I was late back to work after lunch (and had a 30 min walk still to do, not to mention another to pick it up before 5pm) and that the car was needed 7am the next day - I couldn't see me being able to get other quotes, arrange it to be picked up and fixed the same day.

What I hoped to be a check to confirm I needed new rear shoes turned out to be a ransom to get the car back. Very annoying as I'm normally someone who gets 3 quotes before any work gets done, and is always very cautious about being ripped off. This time I just didn't have the time! Typical!!

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

It's called "being over a barrel" and I am sure we've all been there at some time, I know I have, and it always stings the wallet and the pride.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

My local garage who I normally use is being an absolute star in doing a full quote for the work so I can show them what it should be like - even though they know they won't get a penny for it (except in future work!). Unfortuntately Nationwide Autocentre failed to put parts numbers on their invoice, so they're going to quote on the most expensive items, rather than what they actually put on the car.

Peugeot have quoted:

Front discs + pads - £169.99 Rear cylinders + shoes - £189.99 De-lip rear drums - £20.56 Brake fluid change - £24.99 Total = £405.53

For comparison - I was charged £464. So even using a Peugeot main dealer using Peugeot parts would have saved me £60. I expect a bigger saving from my local garage.

Next thing is to check out their 'price promise' T&C's and see whether I can make a claim under that (which may make things easier).

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

You may find, on their paperwork, that they belong to a trade organisation which, in turn, may offer some form of customer arbitration service that you can take advantage of. Otherwise, short of the Small Claims Court there doesn't seem to be much you can do, unless of course they apologise and refund part of your money (flying pig alert!!).

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Well, my local garage came in with a price of between £380 (for the cheapest parts) and £550 (for the most expensive - eg. vented discs etc). Fair enough as without seeing what's fitted to the car orwhat was removed they cannot be sure what's required - eg. cylinder sizes. When I gave them Peugeot's prices they said it sounded like it would be the cheaper end.

So - now that I've been told of those prices, I'll see what I can do. All told though, I was ripped off, but not by as much as I originally thought.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

The message from "David Hearn" contains these words:

Cor - are they gold plated or something?

Reply to
Guy King

If they are, don't use them, they will be rubish at stopping the car over

5mph.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

At that price I wouldn't use them in case I wore them out!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

No, its not legal, no garage has the right to with hold your property (ie) car, even if in there opinion, the car is defective, after examining the car they have a duty to bring it to your attention ,and recommend that you should not drive it due to the defect, but the nominated repairer is your choice, either trailer it or tow it away, your choice, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

actually i do believe they can hold your car if it is dangerous to drive it. But the key is dangerous as in will cause someone else harm if driven. As to the cost, face it, you got ripped off. You live and learn. Rear wheel cylinders are £30 fitted each at my local halfords/kwik fit type centre (Moto-save) for a 205.

Reply to
SimonDS

They may be able to hold your car (which I doubt) but they cannot stop you having it towed away elsewhere.

Scottish Peugeot main dealer - 2 X Brake Cylinders (306DT - part numbers VQ793 and VQ794) - £70.26 - supplied and fitted including VAT using overpriced Pug parts. I feel for those getting charged extortionate prices down south.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Exactly right Jim, The garage cannot stop you from removing your car , either by tow or trailer, from there premises, even if there is a disputed outstanding bill, the correct procedure would be for the garage to come to a compromise with you, or pursue it through the small claims court, but they cannot withhold your car,

£70-00 to £80-00 is what I would expect to pay for this repair here in the north west, Fitzy
Reply to
Fitzy