as few 205 diesel questions

Hiya,

Just bought a 205 diesel (non turbo) and I've got a couple of questions as I don't have any manuals or anything for it (yet).

Firstly what grade of oil should I use in it and how much does it take for an oil change?

Secondly there's a light that's coming on intermittently that I'm told is for something like "drain fuel filter" - it's an orange thing that looks like a pot with some fluid in and pipes coming out of the top. What do I need to do in order to do this? I'm not entirely sure where the fuel filter even is...

Thirdly how big a job is the cambelt? I've no idea when it was done so for peace of mind I think I would like to do it as long as it's not too much of a pig of a job.

I think that's it for now, there will no doubt be more soon though ;)

TIA, Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Hi,

15W40 is OK, you'll need 5 litres with the filter or 4.5 without.

Follow the pipes coming from the tank (right hand in engine bay, near to the coolant tank). You'll find the fuel filter (depending on years, up to 07/92 should be a 100mm high cylinder, 07/93 -> ... a black 2" high cylinder closed by 4 BTR screws). Open the drain screw underneath the filter housing until fuel goes out. Hint : may cause a leak. Hint 2 : the fuel sensor is pretty crap, you'd better ignore it. I drive since 70,000km with the light on and off, and just don't care.

It's a bitch of a job. Remove wheel, block engine (2 8mm bolts for cam & pump + 1 L-shaped pin for flywheel), jack up engine, remove upper engine mounting, remove cambelt and tensionner, fit new parts, check tension, remove blocking pins, 2 revs on cranckshaft (using a 22mm wrench), refit blocking pins. Pins OK ? Finished, refit wheel & engine mounting, attempt to start engine, it starts you win. Have a beer. Bitch of a job because of the lack of room. Cambelt lifetime : 5 years OR 120,000km at the first reached term.

HTH, G.T ('93 Junior D). snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi The orange light is (water in fuel filter warning light)the fuel filter its easy to find and the is a smal screw on the boton to let the water out i use 15/40 and its done 90000 miles runs fine on it change every 6000 as for the cam belt dont no it was done just before a brought it sory i cant help there i can send you some scans of the manual if you want

matt

Reply to
Matthew Taylor