Bad 'miss'

Peugeot 306 D Turbo - 1999

When started from stone cold has a really bad misfire - starts no problem, but struggles to build up revs and is a bit smokey (grey-ish). Foot to the floor and the revs build slowly due to the misfire, then, when it gets to about 2200rpm, if you hold it there or above for about

15 seconds, the miss clears itself and the car is fine. It also like to give a nice big puff of black smoke when accelerating moderately hard when it hits about 2000rpm? Someone been tampering with the fueling and turbo boost perhaps? It does seem a good bit quicker than my last TD.
Reply to
Brainfire

Sounds like one or more duff pre-heater glow plugs. Misfire disappears when cylinder heat is high enough to ignite fuel.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi,

Agreed. First check to perform is glow plugs.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Cheers Keith, I'll get new glow plugs for it at the weekend. The smoke at 2000rpm when the engine is hot isn't the same problem though, is it?

Reply to
Brainfire

Just a guess, but that could be the turbo because it kicks in at 2000rpm. My wife's 306DT puts out a black puff when she puts her foot down. I shall have to watch it and see if it is mainly around 2000rpm, I had not thought of that before. Having said that it has done it for years and goes like a pocket rocket.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi Keith,

I was going to write the same. The turbo kicks in, and due to mixture enrichment (spelling ?) and the light extra pressure in the exhaust it also tends to remove the burnt particles which are stuck along the line, this producing a black smoke. You can have the same with a HDi, and we all know they don't naturally smoke, due to their electronics with controls all that.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Thanks GT, and your spelling is fine. ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi,

Eeeer, no.

Read "which controls all that".

I'll add some useless info : here, sometimes, the compressor part of a turbo is called "blower" (soufflante in french), which may also be the generic term for any charger (including the classic superchargers like Roots). That's some kind of uncommon slang, but for what we're talking about, I guess it takes all its meaning :-) For example, my parents' almost new 206 HDi (2.0 HDi "Eco", 120g - 2002

45,000km) tends to puff some black smoke upon acceleration. I'm sure it's some just kind of crap being blowed out of the exhaust - anyway it runs like a dream. Eeeeer mum, gimme your car on a tour around Paris, 300 miles of motorway driving would clean all that :-)

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

That was a grammatical error. The spelling of 'with' was fine, it was just the wrong word ;o)

I've driven around the Peripherique. You wouldn't get up enough speed to blow the crud out.

Message for G.T.'s Mum --- Hide the keys! ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi,

Depending the time you drive on. I've driven at many different times (between 7AM and 2PM, including 12H... But I have 200km motorway drive ahead before putting my tyres on the BP :-) Last time I drove on it it was 15 past 12 AM, from southern to northern (Porte d'Italie to Porte Maillot), I had a pretty fine drive (70 to 80KPH), I shouldn't complain :-)

LOL ! Don't worry, my 205D is just fine for this kind of use ;-)

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

You must try our M25 sometime. In peak hours it is more of a circular car park.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi,

Hey, the Périphérique is nothing more at certain hours. I've known that too... And if I am lucky enough to know that once again, I'll sign up. Come on, the rush hours means big jams, wherever they are.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

So the black smoke is ok then (excuse my intrerruption of cross-channel traffic news) and there's nothing needing done? :-)

It does kinda piss me off because the car has a lovely stainless steel exhaust on it which is continually covered in black soot. Never mind, as long as it does the 1000 miles a week that it's currently doing without any problems, I can live with a dirty exhaust I guess - thanks guys.

Reply to
Brainfire

Hi,

No. Just drive. You can attempt to push a little the car to force the "cleanup" of internals, do it with a fully warmed up engine and don't forget to drive fine for a few miles before stopping the engine, for the turbo to cool down.

Anyway you'll have a blackened exhaust : there are just the Diesel rules.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Alternatively fit a matt black exhaust nozzle ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Reply to
Brainfire

Like to post back here when you have the answer? It sounds intriguing.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Reply to
Brainfire

If no-one replies with a cost estimate, keep an eye on the thread "peugeot

306" as boxy is asking the same thing.
Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Worth shopping around for anyway..... ten estimates, all based on what you would probably call worst case scenario - lowest estimate =A3250-=A3350 (guy works on his own out of a workshop at the side of his house). Highest (fancy workshop in Aberdeen) =A3600-=A3800!!

I've never seen a poor farmer but, > If no-one replies with a cost estimate, keep an eye on the thread "peugeot

Reply to
Brainfire