BEST 2 LITRE(ish) PLODDER DIESEL .... ??

BEST 2 LITRE(ish) PLODDER DIESEL .... ?? Any lovers of yr basic plodder diesel around ....? ...... fitted across a range of cars, it's said that the peugeot 1.9 diesel is one of the most sturdy and unbreakable diesel engines around (in that size range) .... ?? if that is so why do we keep hearing of all the head gasket probs to do with it ...? is it because it was once a 1.5 or 1.7 litre and instead of developing a new engine they just bored it out .... ? thereby reducing the distance between the cyls ..? I am looking for an absolutely basic 5 to 7 year old diesel car in the

2 litre range .... definitely not turbo, definitely got to be a boring and as simple as possible A to B'er.... Citroen Xara 1.9D perhaps ...? ... So ? ... any ideas on your best-last-forever boring 2 litreISH diesel engine ... (gasket problems are the absolute pits, mostly insoluble once started on the peugeot - cyl deformation as well as the head) so perhaps not the peugeot .......? .... (you always get the same excuse ...."well that's strange for a Peugeot 1.9 .... all I can think is he's been thrashing it .... it you do that you wreck any engine !")

---------o0o------------- PS .... been looking on the Automart site and I can't get it to work for me ..? Unlike autotrader site (useless .... dealer cars and I want private .... the sort that USED to advertise in the local papers) it has a range facility. You put your post code in that field ... tho' it only takes the first bit (i.e. BB12 ...I am prepared to go up to 20 mile) .... so that facility is OK (if it works ?). But the two drop down boxes to the left (make and model) don't drop down .... and the page keeps coming back telling me to fill the fields in .... well I can't if it won't let me !! Maybe it is because I am still on WIN 98 ... and the page is too big .... still it does Ryanair and that's big ! Any ideas please ..? cheers ......alec

Reply to
alecalgo

I have had my 405 deisel for many years and its got over 256000miles on the clock.and still gos very well, it might be it has oil and all filters done every 4 months.i am very happy with this 1.9 deisel like many other people that i know have the same engine.with or without turbo. from chris Addlestone Surrey.

Reply to
Chris

Agree totally. Previously I had a 405 with 1.9 non turbo engine (properly called normally aspirated) gave well in excess of 100,000 miles and currently a 406 2.0 HDI that goes like a rocket and has 112,000 on the clock. Neither of the engines have given any problems at all. No idea what you are talking about regarding head gaskets.

Why do you not want a turbo? 1.9 TD runs far better than the non turbo and the HDI is far superior even to the TD and has been around since 1999 which is the year of my 406.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

the XU9D is NOT a bored up version of the XU7D

and yes it is perhaps the most indistructable diesel engine around...

see what drives around in africa.....

AND

it is fitted in so many cars thet you would have a hard time finding one that is not fitted with one ( wel try a merc perhaps)

ONLY

have a regular cambelt / waterpump change ( easy DIY job) just do it about every 60.000 km and DO NOT rev any engine above its limits....

if you want a boring car, go for the talbot horizon.... or any german car a xara1.9 has the XU9D in it.... as a 405, 406 ( with Turbo) 306

205, ( XU7D and XU5D) all citroen diesels, some fords, a few Yap cars, and many many more spares for your XUD? weel if you need them, there at any breaker yard, exept for waterpumps ( new costs around 30 quid)

also impossible to kill, toyota diesel pickups..... ( topgear test :-)

mercedes OM series diesel

Reply to
Marc Amsterdam

" snipped-for-privacy@madasafish.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Cit ZX 1.9D estate

Reply to
Tunku

Give me the 405 XUD any day, I have had 2 405s in 12 years and no major faults, My wife has a 1994 Rover 218, with (I assume) a Peugeot 1.8 diesel, car runs like clockwork, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Give me the 405 XUD any day, I have had 2 405s in 12 years and no major faults, My wife has a 1994 Rover 218, with (I assume) a Peugeot 1.8 diesel, car runs like clockwork, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

I loved both of mine, no significant problems in a quarter of a million miles.

You mean she has to get out and wind it up every so often? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

;-) nice one Matt, as long as she don't wind ME up ;-) Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Hi Marc,

I have to agree, it's rather the XUD7 which is a under-bored version of the XUD9. And they are the most reliable Diesels ever made in their class, for sure, and damn pleasant to drive.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I believe the engine in my 2.0 litre HDI is developed from the XUD9 and it is one of the nicest engines I have ever used - 112,000 miles (not those pesky little kilometres) and pulls like a pocket rocket with no oil usage whatsoever. Brilliant. Pity about the crap electrics on the rest of the car though.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Sorry to pop in late to this discussion but I do have a bit to add. I've now driven the Peugeot 1.9 normally aspirated in a "Style" version

405 Estate I scrapped when it had done 209000 miles due to not stopping quickly enough on a slippery road. The engine was still running perfectly except for an air leak in the fuel system. I had a Citroen BX 1.7 Turbo, which ran fine until the cam belt went. It towed our caravan happily to Poland and back. After the cam belt problem the engine was fixed and ran well for more than a year before being sold on in fine running order. Had a Renault Laguna 1.9 turbo which ate its diesel pump spindle doing the top end in in the process. 8 months later it ate its turbo for afters... It has been repaired and sold on and apparently runs fine. Currently I'm running a Peugeot 406 with 78000 on the clock. Runs fine and is incredibly efficient, its just the steering that's giving trouble (see my query above).

We buy cars like this to tow our caravan very long distance and in general have been totally converted to Peugeot diesel engines. I did quite a lot of research before buying my first and have never heard of gasket problems (or any other really) with the larger engines (although during my research on the tiny diesel I'm looking to buy if needed when we finally manage to finish our move, I have heard bad things about the smallest (1.4?) diesel engine).

The experience with the Laguna engine seems more due to a problem in the diesel pump spindle than the engine itself - I put the turbo failure down to the banging and crashing when the engine was repaired: it had only done 110,000 miles. The BX failure was due to believing the guy who sold it to me , who "fitted a new cam belt" when he sold it to me - only he didn't...

No I'm sure they are not "unbreakable" but equally, I think you'll have to go a long way to get more reliable engines, and none of those will drive like a car engine, like the Peugeot motors do, rather they all seem to drive like a commercial vehicle.

The other key th> > Hi Marc,

Reply to
David Ex RPA

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in news:erKdnZqG snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

256000miles

problems

plus you can run on bio-diesel (as stated by email from Peugeot themselves)with no probs. requires some mineral diesel in cold weather(anti-waxing)but otherwise nothing else (even HDi engines )

Reply to
Gas Man

Are you certain of that with regard to HDI engines. Some time ago there was discussion about that on this group accompanied by dire warnings abut using bio in HDI engines, in fact probably all common rail diesels. Apparently, amongst other things, it screws the anti pollution system. See this link

Keith Willcocks

Also this from the AA

you would publish the Peugeot email because it appears to contradict what has been heard so far.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

OK here's my 2p. I've had two normaly aspirated 1.9 engines, the first in a 305 the second in a 405. I've also had the turbo version in a 406. The turbo didn't do anything much for the perfomace, it just gobbled more fuel. (It was the least ecconomical of all the pugs I've owned and didn't run ANY better or quicker than either of the two non-turbo cars) I now have a HDi 406 with the 2.0 engine which is quicker & more ecconomical than the turbo 406 I traded in on it. I've done well over a quarter million miles in these motors and so far have never needed a head gasket replaced. I've never, up to now, heard of these lumps having head gasket problems, appart from the obvious overheating of diesel engines generaly, which almost always causes head warp probs and isn't in any way confined to Pugs. I do wish Pug would make it's mind up as to what level of bio fuel the HDi motor can stand, there's a bio garage just down the road from me. :-(

Djimbo.

Reply to
djimbo

Hi,

Eeeer they once said HDi's were designed to cope with up to 30% bio (mixed with 80% classic fuel). Needless to say I don't want to give a try with mine ;-)

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in news:fs7vna$8e3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

without

100,000

gaskets.

This is the reply from Peugeot

"Thank you for your recent enquiry made via the Peugeot website.

Since 1998 Peugeot has engineered all of its HDi diesel engines to run on biofuels. This flexibility in the design of the Peugeot HDi diesel engine means that today, all current Peugeot HDi diesel engines can run on a blend of 30% vegetable oil methylester/diesel biofuel, without any modification.

Therefore with the current level of available biofuel at the UK pump being only 5%, Peugeot again demonstrates its forward thinking in respect to environmental issues.

Fuel quality for bio-diesel and for diesel fuel must conform to European fuel norms EN14214 and EN590.

Kind regards,

Dobir Hussain ______________________________________________ Peugeot Customer Advisor _______________________________________________ The Peugeot Customer Contact Centre

Tel: 0845 200 1234 Web: "

Reply to
Gas Man

Thanks for that. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has actually done it with an HDI. I would not want to be the guinea pig myself, but having said that I am not aware of any filling stations around here that sell it anyway.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I doubt very much whether the contents of my chip fryer conforms to either of the two quoted specifications so I will not be emptying it into the fuel tank of my 807. There's a difference between progress and change, and even change isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R N Robinson