Bipper Tepee

I fancy one of these vehicles, I have a partner escapade at present but the bipper will give me an extra 10miles per gallon.They are smaller of course but there's only two of us elderlies that would use it for 80% short runs, occasional long runs to Spain and back for hols. Anyone got any experience (good or bad) of these vehicles? Don

Reply to
Donwill

"Donwill" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

I have no experience with Bipper other than having been in it in the showroom. I found it too cramped for me, probably because I'm used to the spacious interior of my Peugeot Partner. I'm a happy owner of a Partner now for about 7 years, and I wouldn't want any other car in future.

Reply to
Linea Recta

Yes, you have a point, my partner escapade has only done 21000 miles and I find it very convenient spacious and comfortable, unfortunately no air con or cruise control :-( , I just hankered after a new car which might improve my MPG. Having measured MPG over approx 2500 miles of driving on the continent we averaged 48mpg (90BHP HdI 1.6), most of the milage was done on motorways so considering the blunt van type frontage of the escapade and the consequent lack of streamlining it's not bad I suppose.

I used to have a 2 litre 806 (Diesel) which was a superb vehicle for long distance travel, checking MPG over a similar distance on similar roads I measured 50MPG which is surprising in that it's a much bigger vehicle than the escapade, however, I suppose it was a bit more streamlined perhaps .It had a very large fuel tank, We used to fill it up in Northern France and wouldn't need to fill it again until we were in Northern Spain. I've also have had an 807 which in my opinion wasn't a patch on the

806 and exchanged it for my present vehicle, the escapade. Sorry about delay in responding. Cheers Don
Reply to
Donwill

As a comparison, my 2.0L HDi 406 is constant at 47mpg, never varies. Coincidentally, I was in Staines this morning and saw an Expert Tepee in the car park. Looked quite a nice and spacious motor and had been adapted with a wheelchair lift at the back..

Reply to
Tinkerer

Personally I wouldn't want either of those. (Nor would I want automatic gearbox.) As long as we have the choice...

I just did a search of entire harddisk, I was sure I'd saved consumption measurement I'd done years ago. Afraid the text file seems to have disappeared mysteriously :-( But I think it was something around 1:17 (1 liter for 17 kilometers). Note that fuel consumption is largely determined by driving style. I always use accelerator pedal very cautiously and never go faster than up to about 90 kmh. That way the wind resistance isn't going to have big impact on fuel consumption. (engine: old fashion 1.9D) Also, many drivers forget to check tyre pressure regularly; low tyre pressure also causes increased fuel consumption.

Reply to
Linea Recta

Curiously, with my 1999 406 HDi that I have had as a company car, and then my personal car, since new I have found that driving style makes absolutely no difference to consumption. I was frequently on journeys when working when I had to really hammer it and now that I am retired it is more usually driven gently and sensibly but over the 11+ years and 130,000+ miles it has never varied from 47mpg (I have the spreadsheets to prove it). Even the air conditioning seems to have no effect. I can only assume that the computer controlled common rail system somehow smooths it all out. I'd be interested to know if that is likely to be the case.

Reply to
Tinkerer

"Tinkerer" schreef in bericht news:i1835k$n02$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

I realy wouldn'n know, but it surprises me...

Reply to
Linea Recta

Driving style doesn't make *that* much difference really[1]. Driving like a complete loon, in my experience, uses about 10-15% more fuel than driving like a granny, and driving "enthusiastically" makes very little difference; something around 5%, so within the noise caused by different journeys and weather. In diesels particularly, how hard you accelerate seems to make very little difference, assuming you reach the same cruising speed.

All that said, I have only had one non-turbo diesel[2], so I can't speak with any authority on how they depend on driving style.

[1] I'm excluding variation in use of the brake pedal here - people who don't anticipate and brake reactively a lot will undoubtedly use more fuel. [2] Citroen AX 1.5D. Just too sloooooow for me. I sold it and moved on to a 205TD as soon as I could.
Reply to
Albert T Cone

It pleases me ;o)

Reply to
Tinkerer

To some extent that pretty well bears out my comments.

Reply to
Tinkerer