Brake Fluid replacement

Hi, Its been three years since my last brake fluid change so I guess now is a good time to get it replaced.

Any ideas on the cost of brake fluid replacement on a 1.4 206?

Thanks

Reply to
David

Yes go down to halfords and buy a gall of it.and just keep filling the bottle up each time u have bleed each wheel. Chris addlestone

Reply to
Chris

Yes go down to halfords and buy a gall of it.and just keep filling the bottle up each time u have bleed each wheel. Chris addlestone

Reply to
Chris

Chris, do you have a problem with your PC only I have noticed recently that many of your posts are appearing twice.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

i did have it should be sorted by now.its a pain at times.

Reply to
Chris

With my brakes I'm not going to take any chances, especially now that I have a baby daughter, probably best to leave this to people who have done it before. So any idea how much a garage would charge to change it?

Thanks

Reply to
David

Well at £40plus a hour. plus the fluid it could cost you a bit.i done mine and took my time and all my brakes work very well now. chris addlestone,

Reply to
Chris

So its just a matter of unscrewing the bleed plug one brake at a time and topping up?

Eg:

1 Front left wheel - unscrew bleed plug and drain fluid until it no longer flows. 2 Tighten the bleed plug 3 top up with brake fluid 4 repeat for each wheel.

What about air getting into the system? Do I need to pump the brakes while doing draining it?

Thanks

Chris wrote:

Reply to
David

You do it like you are getting air out of the system.thats the way i did it. you can do it the way you said if you got time . chris Addlestone

Reply to
Chris

I used to do my cars in the days before I got white hair and you could always tell when the old fluid was out because the colour changed as it came out of the bleed tube (i.e. the new stuff ain't dirty).

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hello, No, you're supposed to open the bleed screw, have an assistant slowly press the pedal whilst you top the reservoir up, when the pedal is at the end of it's travel, keep it down, tighten the bleed screw, release the pedal, then repeat and repeat...

Reply to
P A Latham

That is the theory but in the distant past on an Austin 1800, a Cortina and a Princess I found that method was slow enough to allow air to creep back in. The method I used, as suggested by a professional mechanic, was for the assistant to pump the pedal hard 3 or 4 times and hold the pedal hard down after the last stroke. Then open the bleed valve, fluid will spurt out and you close the valve again. After which the assistant releases the pedal and then you top up the reservoir. Continue until new fluid is coming out and then repeat for the other wheels. In all three cases that method worked. One point of interest, the Princess had 6 bleed valves because instead of the dual circuit being the usual one rear brake and the opposite side front, it was one rear and one pad on each front wheel. This made it less likely to veer off course if one circuit failed.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks