Broken bleed screw

Hi,

When I was trying to bleed my braking system on my Peugoet 306 (1994) the bleed-screw of the wheel-cylinder on the left-rear side broke. I tried to remove the remaining part of the bleed-screw with a "stuck bolt/screw extractor", but this snapped off as well. Does anybody know how to fix this problem, besides from fitting a new wheel-cylinder? And does anybody have any hints on how to slacken the remaining bleeding-screws without breaking them?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Mr.Chaos

You're only choice now IS a new wheel cylinder. As for the remaining ones, try a bit of heat on the nipple, from a hairdryer or, better, a hot air gun. As it's a very tight fit in the cylinder or caliper, WD40 doesn't seem to penetrate. If the nipple does start to move then go in both directions. Don't just try to remove it in one go. Undo, do up, undo a bit more, do up,etc. Then you can try WD40, and heat together. This usually works for me, unless they;'re really seized. Good luck. New wheel cylinders from Peugeot are about 30 pounds I think.

Reply to
Nigel

Don't buy things like this from PUG. Motor factors will have perfectly good parts for far less money.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Reply to
Mindwipe :-)

you should be able to get them fitted for £30 per side i think there £18 for non pug parts.

simon ds

Reply to
SimonDS

£12 plus vat from
you have to add postage butby buying a modest stock of consumables, you can spread this cost.Fast service too - no commercial connection just a very satisfied customer! Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin

iair wont have got to that part yet so you can bleed up to the union,the small amount of "dirty" fluid left will mix in with clean,not perfect but only alternative is new cylinder

Reply to
Mindwipe :-)

Is there any way at all to remove these bloody screws. They broke on both rear callipers on my 205 & I really don't want to fork out for 2 recon ones. Rear axles for these are like golddust so I doubt I'd find any scrapped.

As for slackening the remaining bleed screws, I use (anymore) an 8mm socket to slacken them, a wrench puts pressure sideways and they sheer more easily. Theres still a chance of them breaking though.

Ollie

Reply to
Ollie Walsh

Sounds painful - have you seen a doctor?

:-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Does anybody know how to fix this

It's probably wise to replace the one on the other side at the same time to avoid any imbalance in braking effect

Reply to
ph12