Buzzing noise from 306 roof console!!!

Hi all,

I just picked up a '95 306 S16... great car!

But I'm getting a weird buzzing noise from the roof. After much head-scratching, I'm figuring it's maybe something to do with the climate control interior temperature sensor?? Maybe there's a fan forcing air onto it? If such a thing is present, I'm guessing it's this fan that's making the noise. It certainly sounds like a fan rubbing against something.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas on a fix? Or even some tips on removing the roof console thingy, where the interior lights are housed.

Cheers from Australia,

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Don't know your exact model, but all the climate control Pugs that I have come across have the sensor in the facia panel on the passenger side between the glove compartment and the centre facia. It is a small square grille. Yes there is a small fan in there to suck air in. The roof console is normally held up with screws behind the light which prises out.

Reply to
Brian

My wife's 1999 306TD has climate control and the sensor is indeed on the right of the passenger facia (right hand drive model). The roof console houses the IR receiver for central locking, the interior light and the sliding roof controls. I believe the aerial lead also goes through it.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

There must be different versions, because my '98 306 also has the sensor in the roof, and there is a little fan that sucks air onto it. If you switch the heater fan off, and switch on the ignition you should just be able to hear it spinning up.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Rae

Yes this is the way it is in my car! The little grill is mounted up there. My car has no sunroof by the way.

But the fan is rubbing on something making an annoying noise.

Does anyway have any tips on removing this roof console? I had a go at it but it seems very tight and it felt like I was going to break it.

Thanks all for the replies,

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Just looked at my wife's 2000 306, and that also has a grill in the roof console, though it hasn't got climate control. Have you managed to get the interior light out Craig? It really does prise out, and you will see the screws under this which hold the console in place.

Reply to
Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for the info... yes I'm planning to look at it again this weekend, and hopefully get it off. I think with some leverage I should be right. I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers,

Craig

P.S.: what a fantastic handling little car! Very confidence inspiring.

Reply to
Craig

Hi Brian, yes I managed to get the roof console off and I fixed the buzzing fan. The console did indeed come off after a bit of wrestling.

Thanks again for your help,

Craig

Reply to
Craig