cam belt & water pump

having my pug 306 serviced is £300 realistic for a cam belt & water pump change?

water pump is somewhere around £69?

thanks

Reply to
greenlion

It's a 306 HDI 2001

Reply to
greenlion

Hi,

Why does it need a new water-pump at that age? Is it leaking at all, or making unpleasant noises? If not, you may find that you're being 'had'.

Apart from that, the belt would probably cost about a tenner, and take a determined, skilled mechanic about 2-3 hours to replace if he was properly familar with the model and hit no snags (on a 2001 model, I'd be amazed if there were any difficulties at all, but you never know). On that basis, I'd have said that £300 would be a nice little earner for someone ... I'd be happy to do timing-belt changes all day, all year for that sort of money.

Good luck

Philip

Reply to
Philip Andrews

Just had my timing belt done as camshaft pulley went. £350 but the camshaft pulley was £150, so I would expect about £300 for yours, probably just under. Mine was at an independent who only charges £25 per hour labour, however.

The water pump replacement is preventative. If it breaks in the near future you'll have to pay to have the timing belt done all over again. That said it should last 72000 without much of a problem. It's up to you - will it go in the next 50,000 miles?.

Reply to
Simon

forgot to say: 72000 miles service.. leaking waterpump they said .. ended up paying 280 with 1 year warranty on the job. How can I check if they had replaced the waterpump? Something I could easily do?

Reply to
greenlion

Not really - you could ask to see the old one... I always ask these things when something major goes wrong just to appear interested.

Reply to
Simon