CD Error in 406 Exec

Hi,

I have a P reg 406 with cd auto changer. Recently I have been getting 'CD ERROR' messages when trying to play a cd. The system then refuses to change into CD mode for several minutes, and then will maybe work, until I change a track, which usually causes another error. Is this a physical,mechanical problem (like something getting stuck, as in a previous post) or an electronic problem? What can i do in either case?

Thanks in advance, BB

Reply to
laugar

Try

They offer an excellent repair service. Dave PS No connection with the firm other than being a satisfied customer.

Reply to
Dave Spam

Is this the changer in the boot? On the nearside in front of the light unit? That leaks water and goes directly into the CD changer and gives all sorts of weird faults? Check for water around the changer. If there remove the changer, take out the CD holder, and place unit upside down on a radiator for a couple of hours. Has been known to fix it!

Reply to
Nigel

The changer is in the boot, above the left hand wheel arch. Don't think I've got any leakage in the light unit, but i'll check. I'll also check fixmyradio.co.uk too. Cheers gents.

Reply to
laugar

Mine failed after five years., the radio unit stopped recognising the CD existed. Like you I couldn't see any sign of water leaking into the unit, but on removal there were signs of corrossion underneath on a printed circuit board near where the plug goes in. I put it down to condensation over the years. Two electronic components look fried so I bought a new unit off eBay which is working perfectly btw.

Reply to
Robin Bendall

Water leaking into the boot around the light unit & then into the CD changer is a known 406 fault.

Its a lot worse on the later Multiplexed cars because they use digital signals instead of propper wiring & it drives the electrics crazy.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com