Coolant Loss 405

Hi,

Today I have made 2 trip out in my 'G' reg 405 GLD, one of about 25 miles, the other about 4. Both times the low coolant light has come on on the way back home, and each time the expansion bottle has been empty requiring almost 2 litres of water each time to refill.

I can see no fluid loss from hoses, and there is no dripping from underneath the car. Oil on the dipstick looks fine. Im assuming if the head gasket was going, this would show oil in the water???

Any suggestions?

TIA

Tempest

Reply to
Tempest

Run the car hot, it could be that you have a small hose-pipe leak that is only showing itself when the system is under pressure!!

HTH

Regards, John

Reply to
John J. Burness

Upon returning from the second trip I left the car running, but found no leak from anywhere and no dripping underneath.

Reply to
Tempest

I'm actually having the same mystery with a 306! If you look above there's a post called 306 Coolant...

I have had a gas test and pressure test done at the garage and have found no explanation for the loss :( I'm not losing quite as much as you though (yet!)

I'm takin it back to the garage in the near future for some more fiddling about, if I find out what the problem seems to be, I'll let you know!

Reply to
Oliver

Do that, and rev it - mine did this, hose at the back was perished and under load it was squirting onto the block and evaporating immiedietly.

Reply to
Dan405

Hi if no visable leaks then i would say its your head gasket gone, i know this because i have 2 peugeots 1 a 405 td and the other a 605 stdt, i am at the moment fetting a replacment engine in the 405, and my 605 is using water at a rate of 1 liter aday and no signs of leaks, just one thing does your system hold its pressure when its cold? if yes then there is no leak as the pressure in the system would go, but with the head going then the pressure would stay as its forcing air into it, (thats what i think anyway) one more thing to say, dont only check for leaks in the engine compartment, also try in side as thats where your heater matrix is, just cheack the carpet to see if its wet.

Good luck

Reply to
Nice1

Twas Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:49:28 -0000 when "Tempest" put finger to keyboard producing:

I was losing coolant from mine (405 grd) and found it to be the radiator, I saw white markes left by (I assume) minarals and/or antifreeze where the water had leaked and evaporated. As I can't afford a new radiator yet I threw in a bottle of radweld (I know.!.) and that's fixed it for now. Temporary of course.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

cap comes off without any release of pressure when cold. no water loss inside the car, this was one of the first things i checked as i had an escort years ago that popped the matrix flooding the insides.

Reply to
Tempest

I had similar on a diesel Clio. Turned out the heater matrix was leaking, and the missing fluid was collecting in some chassis member under the floor. Finally got wet carpet when the chassis filled up! :)

Andy

Reply to
ZS