CTi snapped timing belt: update

Hi all,

Well again, thanks for your answers and suggestions. Meanwhile I had checked the pistons through the spark plug holes and there appeared to be marks so I decided it would be on the safe side to take the head off and see what happened. Good thing. The seal just about fell apart when I took the head off, and it showed definite signs of leaking. The valves do not seem to have taken any harm, so do the pistons, it must have been a strange reflection what made me think there were marks. So it seems I have gotten away. Besides, without the belt snapping, I wouldn't have taken the head off, thus, the next fault would have been the cylinder head seal as it appears.

Bye

Norman

Reply to
Norman Anthes

Glad it was nothing too harsh - I hope my engine is a non-interference design but no-one seems to know at toyota. At least now you can take the belt back and see if they will give you the cash back to put towards a genuine pug one - they might have been iffy if you had tried to claim for a head rebuild.

Coyoteboy

Hi Norman,

Good news, then... With head off, I'd remove some (if not all) valves to check for a bent one. No marks on both valves & pistons isn't bad, but I'd lose some hours on checking for a possible valve problem. I hate doing twice the same job :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I think, first I will look after valve clearance and then turn the camshaft and watch the valves from the piston-side. I figure I should be able to detect a damaged one that way without fiddeling every single valve out and back in. Have a neat flash light that will allow me to shine in and look at the valve-stem from piston-side.

Especially if it's something so easy as taking the cylinder head off ... :-)

Besides ... When putting the head back on, and fitting a new timing belt, how can I make sure the crank- and camshaft are in the correct position, since for each two turns of the crank, the camshaft only turns once. Any easy trick there?

Cheers

Norman

Reply to
Norman Anthes

There is paint that is used to make scratches more visible when markins anything on metal, and also to show where things touch - how about putting this on the seats and then looking at the valves? You might be able to see where they do touch then - only make sure you clean up really good afterwards!

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer