Dashboard dimmer on a 206

I have a Y reg 206 and the dashboard dims as soon as I switch any lights at all on as though the dimmer is set at minimum which it isn't.

Turning the dimmer makes no difference to the dashboard brightness.

Anyone had this and can tell me what's wrong or if I have a switch thrown wrong somewhere?

TIA

Reply to
Hairy Armpit

I expect that the wiper of the variable resistor has gone open circuit. Fit a new one or bypass the dimming altogether.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks, any idea how I get the control out? I've tried levering the edges with a screwdriver with no luck.

Reply to
Hairy Armpit

Right I have got the control out but the problem is not there. There's 2 wires going off somewhere under the dash. Anyone any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
Hairy Armpit

What a tit I am! The clock and radio are NOT controlled by the dimmer, they go dim to a preset level with the lights on. The dimmer only controls the speedo part of the dash. Been chasing meself up me earole all afternoon looking for a non existant fault. Only as it was getting darker I noticed the speedo was dimming correctly.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Hairy Armpit

Stand in the corner silly boy hahahahahahaha

Reply to
Chrs

Not over here - this is my corner!!!

Reply to
PJ

Most of us have done that at some time or other.

Reply to
Brian

Yes i have done that many years ago on a ford,

Reply to
Chrs