Diesel additive warning

My 2.2 406 has startednagging me every time I start up that the fuel additve is at its lowest level and the particulate light comes on the dash at the same time. My mechanic refills it every service (as they found the recommended intervals too long). I still have 2000 to go to next service so any ideas anyone? By the way, the car is running normally apart from these warnings. Thanks Phil.

Reply to
Philip Western

The diesel additive usually lasts about 60Kmiles, the additive can take upto

4litres or so from empty @ about £20 a litre.

The particulate must be cleaned / renewed at the same time.

The additive ecu counter has to be reset & fault codes removed, followed by adding 10litres of diesel & road tested then recheck codes on ecu. Otherwise the low level warning never goes away.

Check this link out, it is interesting that if the diesel filler cap sensor doesn't work it injects too much additive by default & rapidly empties system.

.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Reboot

Thanks Reboot, very interesting reply Regards Phil

Thanks Reboot

Reply to
Philip Western

Thanks Reboot Very interesting reply

Regards Phil

Reply to
Philip Western

Had a word with my mechanic and he says that, as they are refilling at every service they do not always reset computer, so it is wrongly believing it is nearly empty. Will have it done properly in 1000 miles time with service. Thank god its not some of the nightmare things listed on the newsgroups. cheers phil

Reply to
Philip Western

Hi Phil, Should ask them to check the particulate fillter as well, that too can bring up codes & fault lights. I have heard from various sources |(i.e. dealers) to renew it, but some websites say it's ceramic & cleans out with a jetwash.

Eventually I will end up with one, then I will know a few more answers to the questions.

Kindest regards...

Reply to
Reboot

I cleaned my own particulate filter last month. You can take it off (bit of a potch, more details on request), then cleaned it with a blast of compressed air, washed it through, used degreaser. Whole thing took 3 hours. one hour of which was cleaning it out. It's like an exhaust box with loads of sieves through it, that catches the smoke before it leaves the exhaust. I think Peugeot charge £175ish to supply a reconditioned one,

Neil

Reply to
Neil D

So you pay yourself £60 per hour to do it yourself, quite a saving. Can't see that they will do anything that you don't.

Reply to
Brian

For the £175, you get a refurbished, not new filter. And that's on the condition that they have your old one. I suppose they then refurbish your old one and then eventually sell that for £175. I felt so good after doing it, and I'm convinced the car was a little quicker. That was about a month ago, and I'm convinced I'll go light free for a good few years. Mine's on a

406 Coupe 2.2HDi, so the access was slightly tight, just getting under the car, other than that, just a little fiddly, not really difficult though. Probably a lot more accessible on a normal 406.

I'm in the process of reading up on filling the additive tank now. I'm not totally convinced the ECU would have to be reset when the tank is topped up, as I've read somewhere it has its own level gauge.

Neil

Reply to
Neil D

Hi, Had a C5 a while back & the " additive minimum Level " was flashing on while going around corners. Put 2 litres in it & it stayed off.

Had another 2 weeks ago the light had ben on previously for 6 weeks. It stayed on when tank was filled. Code read the ecu, it said minimum level code , & tank empty code. Went through the precedure to reset counter, clear codes, add 10 litres of fuel, & road tested - warning still stayed on. Cleared codes again, road tested again & it stayed off.

Comes back next week for filter doing (as he was expecting a big bill if he needed a new filter). He'll be happier that I can clean it, as I thought in the first place.

Reply to
Reboot