Door jamming 'deadlocked' on 406

My 2001 406 estate has just developed a fault with the front passenger's door.

I normally lock, then deadlock, the vehicle with one push of each of the buttons on my key. When returning I use the same remote to unlock, however the passenger's door remains deadlocked (or perhaps just locked ?).

If I don't deadlock remotely, simply lock, then it unlocks again fine.

The only way to open the door if stuck 'electronically' deadlocked is to physically insert my key into its lock.

I'm guessing I've got a duff solenoid ? Any experience out there on how easy to repair etc ?

TIA

Reply to
Mark Carver

Same problem on drivers door of Jun 2001 406 Hdi Rapier Estate . Solution WD40 in doorlock. Why not do the lot when can in your hand?

Happy 406`ing in 2006 to one and all.

Wally.

Reply to
walter.lindsay

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

Thanks Mike and Wally for your responses.

I took Wally's advice and squirted WD-40 in the affected lock, and that's restored things, however I take note of Mike's advice and will aim alter my locking habits accordingly.

Happy New Year

Reply to
Mark Carver

Glad to have been of some small assistance. Where possible, I prefer the KISS approach.( Keep It Simple Stupid). I always lock by using the key in the lock and ,unlock, by using the button on the key fob. This ensures that both methods are OK.

All the best for 2006

Wally.

Reply to
walter.lindsay

I am bemused by this thread - my 406 (406SVA98) does not seem to have deadlocking - we have two keys - one with a button (my wife's) one without (guess who). As far as I can tell the effect of locking manually or by the button is exactly the same and has been sufficient to protect this vehicle for the 6 years we have had it.

An additional level of protection - deadlocking - seems like overkill. I have another vehicle - a Ford - much more recent - and there were problems with something called the 'body control module' which gave me a very bad time (immobilising the vehicle unpredictably) until the module was replaced. Noone ever managed to diagnose the problem and the cure was, as I say, quite drastic.

The KISS principle is one we should always bear in mind when considering electronic anti-theft devices. My Ford experience convinced me that the people who service these vehicles have little more understanding of these systems that the owner.

Reply to
Ken

In article , Ken writes

Have you tried pressing the button twice when locking the car?

It depends upon the type of area you live in. If cars are regularly broken into, at least it means that the thief has to get everything out through a window rather than being able to open the door.

The increasing use of electronics is definitely making cars less reliable than they used to be.

That definitely appears to be the case. The "master tech" at my local Pug dealer admitted to me that he ended up getting another 807 alongside mine to do fault finding - comparing what they both did and assuming mine was the broken one (as that is a pretty good assumption on my heap of junk).

Matt

Matthew Haigh

Nevertheless I would stick with that dealer - the 807 guinea pig was probably either his or his boss's. Your 'master tech' demonstrates how to survive in the digital age.

Reply to
Ken