Engine stops on return to idle (106)

Sometimes in cold weather my engine will start but it won't idle after I've used the accelerator. It started doing this last winter and the problem has appeared again now it's got colder.

I believe it has to do with the idle speed stepper motor cutting off it's airflow at the wrong time. When the engine is operating normally this valve sounds like it is staying open when the accelerator is pressed. However, when the engine is misbehaving this valve closes when the accelarator is pressed, when the accelarator is released the valve doesn't open in time and the engine stops.

I can get it working again by unplugging the stepper motor plug and plugging it back in again. This only works when the engine is running. I guess doing this resets the ECU in some way.

The car is a Peugeot 106 Rallye 98K miles with a Magneti Marreli 8P ECU

I have measured the output of the coolant temperature sensor, the speed sensor and the throttle position sensor and they seem fairy sensible. I have recently changed the HT leads and the spark plugs, and put some injector cleaner in. The vacuum pipes seem ok. I have also sprayed some carb cleaner into one of the idle control air inlets but I don't know if it did much.

Does anybody have any ideas what may be going on?

Reply to
David New

take off the motor and clean it. it may help. £70 new

Reply to
Simon

mine wasn't a Rallye, but had a similar prblem. Turned out to be a design fault on some early models, the fuel system cut down too quickly, done under waranty by a Pug dealer , there was some sort of damper fitted to cure it.

Reply to
Andy Clements

Andy

That's interesting, maybe it's worth taking it to the dealer.

Do you know where the damper was fitted? was it an electrical or mechanical part?

Dave

Reply to
David New

that is the stepper motor and clean it

Reply to
Simon

Simon

I've already taken the stepper motor off and it looks clean. I can hear the stepper motor working beacause I can hear the rush of air through the valve when it opens. Though possibly it isn't working fast enough

Dave

Reply to
David New

Had the same problem with my 1996 405STI. Replacement stepper Idler motor cured the problem.

Reply to
Banjo