Faulty 406 Speedo - no glovebox unit

The speedo on my 2000 (X-reg) 2.0i 406 has suffered from occasionally wobbling and temporarily dead symptoms for over a year now - however last weekend it seems to have died completely. Phoned my local Peugeot dealer to order the Speedo Interface box referred to in other posts only to be told that it isn't fitted to my model, only the larger petrol engine and diesels. Is that true (haven't had a chance to check yet) ? They also told me that on my model there is only one electronic speedo unit and its attached to the gearbox housing (cost around =A325). Does anyone know if this is the likely cause and how tricky it is to replace ?

TIA

Reply to
davis.pj

I had a similar issue with my 1998 306 rev counter. It would keep sticking (and only moving upwards), sometimes not working, sometimes resetting back to zero etc. In my case I diagnosed it as a dodgy motor driving the dial. I swapped the motor over with the speedo one and then the speedo one went wrong, with the rev one working. I then swapped them back, but didn't re-fit the rev out, rather fitted a blanking bit of card behind the dial to block out the hole.

Lost a rev counter, but cheaper than the £300+ that Peugeot wanted for the new instrument cluster.

David Hearn

This sounds like you might have a similar unit to my late model 405. An electronic sensor that goes to the ECU and a cable drive to the dash. The fault on my was the teeth on the driven pinion in the gear box stripped. Only a few quid for a new one and an hour or so to change it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes only some models have the unit behind the glovebox. The vehicle speed sensor is the next likely reason, and is held in with a 6mm allen key. Easy to change but you could lose a bit of oil when it is removed so put a container underneath to catch it. I think on the petrol models it is reachable from above.

Reply to
Nigel