Fuel economy of 307 110bhp HDi?

I have had my new 307 DTurbo (110bhp) for about six weeks now, and I'm concerned that my fuel economy is not as good as it should be. I had a 306 HDi before this which was returning about 44-45 mpg (6.3l/100km), but my new car is only getting about 39-40 mpg (7l/100km). Peugeot's figures show that the 307 should use LESS fuel rather than more. However, I realise that the more powerful engine in a larger car would use more fuel, but not that much more. My driving style & type of roads (mostly urban with some rural) hasn't changed, so what's going on?

Is anyone else with a 307 disappointed in their fuel economy?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Unfortunately, I think you are correct!!

I have a 307SW 2.0Hdi (110) & I have to drive it gently to get good consumption!

General running about only gives me low forties, but I can achieve 50+ on long Motorway journeys providing I keep just below the speed-limit (which we all do, of course).

I raise it with Pug when I first got my car, but the tended to be a bit evasive over the subject!!

Regards, John

Reply to
John J. Burness

"John J. Burness" wrote in news:dtotb.4287 $ snipped-for-privacy@stones.force.net:

Driving style is a big influence on fuel economy. If you go to 4000 rpm in every gear before changing, your consumption will be a lot higher than changing at 2500 rpm.

I have driven passat tdi with 110hp and when I was not cruising high speed over German autobahns, I got to 6 l/100 km with no problem. With a Golf

90hp I've done an average of 5,2 l/100 km over some 10000 km. My brother drives a Renault Safrane 2.2 diesel and also does less than 6 l/100 km. If a Peug 307 can't manage that I'd be very disappointed. Because of the weight a 307 has an disadvantage in urban areas where there is a lot of stopping and acceleration involved.

Maarten

Reply to
Maarten Deen

Lots of diesel engines have bad mileage before they "loosen" up. This usually takes 5-15kkm. I drive a Caddy 1.9TDI at work. Fuel mileage was 15% better when it had passed 10kkm than when it was new. Power is better too.

Reply to
Jens Kr. Kirkebø

As has been said, diesels require mileage to loosen up - in some respects as many as 50,000 miles / 80,000 kilometres.

Also, the official fuel consumption tests are done on a rolling road - in the real world, the larger size and weight of the 307 may make a bigger impact than the rolling road figures suggest.

My vote is for the former - it's brand new, it needs to be run in! You're also running on winter diesel (this makes some difference). Depending on your mileage, and of course air conditioning*, by the summer you should be using less.

*If you're running the air conditioning and the previous car didn't have it, this would also explain some of the difference.
Reply to
DervMan

"DervMan" wrote in news:bp7hao$1lb2iq$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-136275.news.uni-berlin.de:

I doubt that. It is true that the test as described in ruling 93/116/EG is being run indoors on a test stand, but the same ruling says that it has to run on a test stand that simulates a braking weight similar to that of the weight of the car.

Have a look at point 6.3.2 on page 6 of

There is no reference to windsurface, so a Peugeot 307 will probably have an disadvantage against, say, a 406.

Maarten

Reply to
Maarten Deen

I get 40-42mpg .... thats mainly from 55 miles to work and then back with about 45 miles on M5/M4, 3 miles on fast A roads and 7 miles on back roads. Best I've ever got was about 46mpg. Car is 15 months old and has done 21000 trouble free miles .... so should be run in by now!!

See ya, Phil C

Reply to
Phil Cork

Yes, sorry, I didn't explain it very well. I know that weight is supposed to be compensated for, of course, but I mean the operating weight of the vehicle.

Spot on - a big disadvantage I'd suspect.

Reply to
DervMan

When I drove a Xantia Estate 110 Hdi, I averaged 47mpg, and could get over

50mpg on a long run at 80ish mph. The Xantia is larger and heavier than the 307, so I don't know why you are getting such poor economy. The only suggestion I can make is that the engine is still 'tight', and that economy should improve over the life of the engine (mine had done 120k miles)

All the best, Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby