Hafords Xenon/Blue headlight bulbs

Hi,

Few weeks ago I bought a pair of Cool Blue Headlight bulbs for my 306 thinking I could funk it up a bit.............yeah right :(

These bulbs are absolutely C**P !! They are slightly brighter than my original bulbs but thats about it, no blue tinge as promised. Someone else has told me that there Xenon bulbs aren't that much better. Has anyone had the same experience.

Does anybody know where you can get the proper super-bright bulbs which give your lights that shiny-blue appearence from a distance ?

Thanks MG

Reply to
Mohamed Gheewala

Inside a real xenon headlamp?

Reply to
miknik

the bulb should have blue tint on the glass, and gives off white light rather then normal yellowish light (whether or not its brighter is debatable). Although it does look nicer then the yellow standard, it kinda give a rough copy of Bi Xenon HID lamp but not same.

Bi Xenon gas discharge (oppose to filament lamp as above) come with the bulb, starter and ballast set up cost arround $AU3000 per set.

-cheers

Reply to
voxDEI

You generally can't tell from the drivers seat if they're a yellowish or bluish tint if there are other vehicles and light sources around.

I replaced our car's dipped headlights with Philips "Blue Vision" bulbs, which I sourced from my dealership. The light is more white, and brighter, and in overall usability they're improved - I was a bit cynical of these "brighter bulbs" but they have worked quite well. :)

Errrr . . . well Xenons are very usable. But different people are more or less sensitive to certain lights. My wife isn't bothered by bright red, i.e. she doesn't find rear fog lamps or brake lamps dazzling, but she does find Xenon lights coming towards us rather bright. I'm the opposite.

You have to be careful with the wiring, the relays, the lenses and of course the Law, once you start fitting high powered bulbs. But, really, you'll be wanting Xenons, but they're _very_ expensive.

Reply to
DervMan

Aah, matter of opinion and depends on which ones you get. I got some ring cool blue bulbs in my car but I have the 80/100watt version which DO give a blue tinge and are much brighter. They give off a nice white light and you have to adjust your lights otherwise you will get pulled. I tried xenon bulbs thinking they are bright and they are crud. If you want power then you have to up the power in the bulb im afraid, unless you completely change your lighting setup to an HID setup (£££). And as for slightly brighter, hmm, how about MUCH brighter. Check which version you have cos I didnt go for the legal versions. If you are clever then you can put the off-road ones on.

scott

Reply to
scott

"Mohamed Gheewala" wrote in news:HX1bb.1428$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net:

Yep, I have to agree with you. I bought Halfords Laser Blue (I think they were called) which I think are those Xenon ones. Anyway, no blue tinge - not to my eye anyway!

Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of taking them back and arguing, so they've stayed in until one goes and then I'll get some 'proper' blue tinged light bulbs.

Reply to
Chris

you could always fit 135/100 watt bulbs. brighter but ilegeal although i've just passed the MOT with them in.

Simon

Reply to
SimonDS

Hi,

Anyway, a bi Xenon retrofit (if available as an option when new, not sure it was the case on 306s) seems impossible to me. You'll need, to comply with EU (worldwide ?) requirements : - bulbs ; - headlights ; - position correctors (high - low) ; - pressure washers ; - as said above, ECU for bi Xe bulbs management (which often includes the correction management), able to detect defaults, start & let run the Xe bulb, like a Bosch Litronic ECU. Mind you, a Xe bulbs starts at 35kV, then runs at 80V... All the "Xenon like bulbs" you'll see at Halfords or wherever else are just crap... Keep the good, old H4 (or whatever OE type bulbs) on your car...

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T