HDi catalytic convector split

Has anyone else had to replace the catalytic convector on their Peugeot HDI? Mines a 306 d-turbo 5 ? years old with 65k on the clock. The section with the catalytic converter has developed a split. Peugeot have quoted me ?368 plus fitting, although I can get this down to about ?200 for a non-genuine part. Any thoughts? I'm surprised this part of the exhaust system is having problems already.

Reply to
Dunkan via CarKB.com

i have an 02 plate and have just had my cat replaced try ATS EUROMASTER mine cost ?182 including v.a.t and fitting

Reply to
caroline ward via CarKB.com

get the genuine part i'd say but then again i got an entrance by a pug dealer,

my 406 ( 300k + KM) is due to renew the cat, listed price is 530 euro, i get it for 400 euro, heve to fit it myself for that price

if you hit it on bumds etc it is soon to be replaced

Reply to
Marc

I suggest you do a search in Google Groups on past postings to this site. I am sure there was a thread in which it was discussed as to whether a CAT was actually needed on a diesel engined car. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks on this group would like to advise?

Keith

Reply to
Keith

The law in England only requires the petrol cars to have cats, so you can have it removed and replaced with a regular 306 straight through exhaust system I believe.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I wish I knew what a cat did on a diesel. On a petrol engine it removes the CO, but that is the one substance which a diesel does not produce. I would just fit a plain pipe instead. Might well get a couple more MPG too.

Brian.

Reply to
brian

Andy