HDi running temperature

I have recently bought a Peugeot 306 HDI 2.0 (90bhp model). It has 48k miles, works fine and gives me about 50mpg. I noted that the engine temperature gauge never reads above 75 degrees C - is this the normal running temperature of these engines or should it be higher? I thought that engine working temperatures are usually in the range of 90-100 degrees C. Anyone with HDi engines, do your temp gauges also read around 75 degrees? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
malteser

In message , malteser writes

Yep, I queried this when I bought my DTurbo (2.0HDI 90) a couple of months back. Peugeot said it was normal, and I read back through the archives here and most replies have said that 75 degrees is normal.

The gauge on the dash is the temp. of the coolant - mine barely reads above 70 degrees when driving normally. I also have the engine oil temp. gauge fitted, and once it's got up to temperature, that gets to about 80 degrees, which sounds about right.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
Chris Dudley
75 is good. the 306 hdi has no intercooler and quite a few have blown head gaskets through over heating at less than 60k
Reply to
SimonDS

thanks for your help and advice - it's reassuring to know everything's fine! (for now!)

Reply to
malteser