head gasket

:-( head gasket gone on K reg 405 1.8, is it an easy job to DIY? Don't have the money to give to a mechanic?

Thanks Clint

Reply to
ceemark

yes very easy todo.but you must replace the cam belt after you have done it .and oil plus filters.and take your time because if you rush you can mess things up. good luck chris addlestone surrey

Reply to
Chris

As Chris says, and access to a Haynes book will help.

And don't forget, change the cambelt, it is so easy to do when you are that far, and a real S.O.D to do later.

Reply to
Brian

Oh, and check the condition of the water pump too, again, very easy to do at this point, but not later.

Reply to
Brian

yes i forgot that also all the pullies go to peugeot for your gaskets.as if you go to a factors the gaskets are not so thick.

Reply to
Chris

thanks all, i will give it a go!

Reply to
ceemark

like i said take your time and dont rush it..well i hope you got a garage to do it in as its raining very heavy here in surrey.

Reply to
Chris

I'm in Surrey too, seems to have cleared up for now, I took a look at the Haynes Manual, seems like one hell of a job to replace the head gasket, I don't fancy removing half the engine and exhaust system .Keep watching ebay, you may just see a dark grey 405 estate for sale! I love the car, but can i be bothered to change the H G myself. I saw a couple of american websites offering "steel seal" supposed to repair H G's by pouring this liquid chemical into the anti freeze, and this stuff attaches itself to all the blown seals, and repairing it from the inside, any one ever used something like this?

Clint

Reply to
ceemark

Yes i have used this stuff on a escort xr2i and we still see it being drien round addlestone,and a boy racer got it i did tell him about it and he said if it gos he will get me to do the job and pay for me to do it ,,that was 2years ago.

Reply to
Chris