Headlight problems- ’93 306

Just bought a 306, year 1993 but cant get the headlights working. The sidelights come on fine, but when i turn on the dips, nothing happens. Have checked all the fuses, has anyone experienced this problem before? The bulbs are fine too checked them also...

Reply to
savsavsav03

I seem to remember that ,on an early 405 I had, the headlights only operated when the ignition was on.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I'm not sure this is the case on the 306. Our's is out at the moment, but it should be fitted with the dim-dip system, where the dip comes on dimmed when in sidelight position, and the ignition is on. Your problem could be something to do with this. There is a little alloy cylender somewhere on the LH behind the rad, which is the ballast resistor, and there is a relay in the circuit too.

Reply to
Brian

Check the earth connections.

Brian

The diagnostic for this problem is to check if the headlights work on full beam but not dipped.

In my 94 306 the resistor pack was behind the n/s headlight and it failed mid journey between London and Scotland. I got a garage to remove it and wire it so that the state or the lights were controlled by the switch rather than the relay and resistor.

If it helps, this is the relevant part of the diagram .

Phil Cook