Heavy grey smoke rough idle after overheating 206

Hi All ,

My girlfriend has a 2001 206 diesel that overheated on her way to work this morning , she managed to get back home with it and I've just topped up the water and took it for a test drive . Under hard acceleration it's now putting out a lot of grey smoke (unburnt fuel ?) and it's very rough just off idle causing the whole car to shake , I checked the dipstick and the oil looks fine with no sludge or other contamination . Any ideas what might be the cause ?.

T.I.A.. Ron

Reply to
Ron

Blown head gasket? any oil in the coolant header tank. Any idea why it over heated in the first place. Check under the oil filler cap for sludge not the dipstick.

GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

Yes unfortunately you're right , garage just called to confirm it's the head gasket. No idea why it overheated initially but I'm not looking forward to getting the bill ! .

Cheers, Ron

Reply to
Ron

A head gasket is not really a major job.

Reply to
Ecky Thump

it may well be a simple job but you can't really tell until the head has been taken off/. Hopefully you will be lucky GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

Hi,

By itself, no... But it involves many things : head test (to check for cracks, for example), head skimming, head screws, new thermostat, radiator check, whole timing belt kit (incl. tensionners & new water pump).

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

Yep that's exactly what the guy at the garage said , gasket set , timing belt kit , water pump , head skimmed and pressure tested , fluids and filters and the labour . I'm sure it will all add up to a tidy penny , I'll let you know what it all costs.

Cheers, Ron

Reply to
Ron

99 times out of 100 it's through a lack of maintenance. I'll bet you the bonnet hadn't been lifted to check the water level in a month of Sundays. 2001 Pug - just the ticket for a pin-hole in the rad to allow a minute coolant leak....

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Yep

Depends when last changed - if only (say) 10K ago then just buy a new belt only.

Ditto

Check with a stright edge - don't bother skimming if it's not warped, consider taking a chance with the pressure test.

It may focus your GF's mind on looking after the car a little better in future! I'd make her pay - that will do the trick!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Hi,

Might be the case, but don't be rude ! I haven't lift the bonnet for the past 2 weeks... Which means 800 miles.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

In the UK we have a saying -'' two wrongs don't make a right.'' I'm not sure if there is a French equivalent!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Hi,

And that would make sense... But in France we use to say "women just check the fuel level... because there's a gauge on the dash". And if my grandpa was still alive, sure he'd agree.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T