help diagnosing window/mirrors motor fault on 306 please

Hi all I've got an electrical problem on my aging 306XSi ('95, N reg) and hope that someone can suggest some pointers.

When trying to adjust my Driver's wing mirror yesterday the motor would only go one way (down), and not up. There was no noise or movement in the 'up' direction. Shortly afterwards, the wing mirror motors stopped moving the mirror at all.

At around the same the controls to raise & lower the driver & front passenger windows failed to do anything. Again, no motor noise.

This all happened within one short journey so I'm assuming the same cause for most of it. Currently none of the controls (driver or passenger side) do anything to the wing mirrors or the windows - which are both stuck at half-open ;-(

I've had a quick look at the Haynes manual and fuse F30 seems to be OK. If I can work out how to unfasten the door cable harness I will take a look at this next [I can unscrew the locking ring but it doesn't seem to want to pull off]. Since all this is seemingly connected, any suggestions as to where I should look for the problem?

thanks a lot jon N

Reply to
jkn

This sort of problem is usually a broken wire in the harness connecting the door to the car body. Certainly inplug the round connector if you can, I think it should jjust pull off once the locking ring is undone. Could be corrosion in the lpug/socket which is both causing a bad connection, and preventing you from pulling off the plug. Pull locking ring off as much as you can, and spray liberally with WD40 or similar. Leave to soak in and try again. You might need to lever the plug off GENTLY with a flat bladed screwdriver.

Reply to
Brian

Hi Brian Thanks for your reply. Of course after removing all the switches and having a fiddle to no avail, after leaving the car overnight it all works again, grr. I will try again to disconnect the door harness ... I know I've done it before bt for some reason it seems awkward this time.

I'm most puzzled about why it's failing on *both* doors gien what I understand of the wiring ... but car electrics are a law unto themselves...

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Is there a common feed to all? Are they all on the same fuse? If so that would be the wire damaged, or with poor contact.

Reply to
Brian