hiccuping petrol tank ( I KID YOU NOT)

I have bought a peugeot 306 LX (1998 reg) 47.000 on clock . It ran fine on test drive but was very nearly empty on fuel . i brought it home parked it on drive for 2 days whilst i sorted tax etc. I then drove it to garage put in =A340 petrol when i first opened tank cap I heard alot of 'gas' escape, I put the petrol and from the moment i tried to drive it back home it began to lose power , it shuddered and spluttered and kept stalling . on lifting the bonnet you could hear the drop in revs and then it picking up again , if you open the fuel tank you can hear a hiccuping noise whilst the car is running . has anyone come across this problem as the mechanic I called out said he had never heard it in any car in over 44 years on the job.

Reply to
sunnygirl

Drive it back to the Garage you got it from and show them the problem.they should be able to put it right for you at there cost.

Reply to
Chris

Creep up on it and give it a fright. Failing that, take it back to the garage as Chris said. Sounds like it may be a blockage or dodgy pump.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Hi,

Sounds like a tank's air intake (venting) problem, possibly a blocked venting hole / breather. I don't know the exact term in english, I hope you understand. I've been having a very similar problem with my '93 205D, which was solved by drilling a hole in the filler cap (normally non vented on my car), as it was almost impossible to unblock the venting breather without removing almost everything. Also had the lost power, as the pump had to pump the fuel and the tank at the same time... Give a try with a Cola bottle, drinking at the neck without venting it, you'll see what I mean.

HTH, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

This is slightly off-topic, but many moons ago a friend of mine had a Ford Anglia, he lost the fuel filler cap and so replaced it with one he bought from a garage. When he next went to fill up he found that he could only get about a pint of fuel in the tank, even though it was reading empty. Turns out that his new filler cap did not have a breather hole, the fuel tank was made from thin metal, and the powerful mechanical fuel pump had sucked so hard the tank collapsed in on itself.

Of no use whatsoever but rather amusing.

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

Hi,

Yeah, I've heard of some similar cases, too.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

That would be my answer as well. It sounds like a blocked breather pipe if there is one or possibly an incorrect fuel cap maybe. But as you say a small hole in the cap is the quick fix.

Reply to
Malc