Idle speed

ref. Pug 205 1.6 GTI

When I start my car from cold the idle speed is about 1300RPM.

After a while the idle speed drops (ca 1000RPM).

But when the car has been running for some time the idle speed is back at about 1300RPM.

The car runs well.

Any advice on how to get a normal idle speed ca 1000RPM

Thanks

Reply to
species8350

Clean, or ultimately change the idle control valve. After high mileage these valves get sticky around the normal operating point.

I would expect your correct idle speed to be about 850rpm

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for the advice,

I cannot find a reference in the workshop manual for the 'idle control valve'

Where can I locate it?

Thanks

Best wishes

species8350

Sorry I don't have a 205. On my 405 it is right on top of the engine and easy to spot. Functionally it provides a controlled air bypass round the throttle butterfly usually connected by hoses about 30mm diameter.

This is my 405 one

Sometimes these are mistakenly called "stepper motors" but rarely are true stepper motors.

You can see some other examples by searching for "Idle control valve" on ebay current showing 633 but curiously none for a 205?

Sorry I can't be more specific

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Ok,

Thanks for responding.

I suppose a clean will involve dismantling. Or is there a quick and dirty way?

If the valve needed to be replaced, would that be an expensive job if carried out by a garage.

Thanks

species8350

one

Yes you will have to dismantle to remove the valve - depending on where it is. I keep a spare in the car tucked under the drivers seat and swap mine in about 1 minute with no tools as it goes through periods of misbehaviour.

Looking at the history of your postings, I think you need to decide if the garage is going to maintain your car or you are going to do it yourself via advice here.

Firstly find your valve and determine how easy or otherwise it is to remove, then price up a new one and thirdly decide if you are going to do the job or pay someone else. Sorry to be blunt but .....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

As far a self-maintenance or garage repairs are concerned, this will be mix and match depending upon the charges and the ease of repair.

Aren't we all in this position

Best wishes

species8350