idle speed drops in my 309

Hi. I have problems with idle speed recently. I have TU 1.4 carb engine. Carburator has been rebuilt recently. When I stop at traffic light idle speed stays at 900-1000 for a few moments and then slowly drops until the engine finally dies. It happens regardless of engine being cold or hot, although when it's cold and I close the choke (manual) it happens less often. Strangest thing is that when I step on the gas the engine first rev down slightly (200-300 rpm) before reving up. Does anyone know if this strange behavior indicates something? Thanks!

Reply to
mislav

Float chamber needle valve not seating properly - fuel level gradually rises when idling until mixture becomes too rich.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Thanks Rob. What confused me is that when I closed the choke (which made the mixture even richer) the idle speed somehow stabilized. I would assume that this should cause the engine to stall. Could it be the other way around, that the mixture becomes too lean?

Reply to
mislav

Reply to
Chris

Sorry, I took "closed the choke" to mean "pushed the choke knob in". However operating the choke usually does two things: richen the mixture and increase the idle speed. If there is a slight leak past the needle valve or the float level is too high, pulling the choke out will result in using more fuel thus stopping the fuel level rising so fast and the increased throttle opening will also help to keep things stable. Anyway, if this fault appeared when you fitted the different carb., see the people you got it from. - it's their problem.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson