Indicator noice on a 306

I am sure this is an easy question but anyway..

Sometimes when driving my N reg 306 there is a noise that sounds like the indicator is on, but it doesnt not appear to be (I cant really stick my head out the window and look, but the lights on the console don't light up) so any idea whats wrong and how serious it is?

I am guessing that whatever controls the timing of the indicators is lose and so sometimes it activates by itself, but the lights dont come on as they need the indicator stalk to be in a certain position to work?

I look forward to your comments

Dave

Reply to
David Beamish

I'm not sure about the 306, but on the 406 the noise is generated by a seperate speaker. Therefore if this is the case in the 306, then it is entirely possible for an electrical gremlin to trigger off the sound circuit without triggering the acutal indicator

Luke

Reply to
Luke Wells

Luke Wells unleashed:

an interesting idea.. i will try to investigate.. thanks Luke

Dave

Reply to
David Beamish

I just had a problem with the stalk itself - The internal contacts were ground down and metal chips were all over the contacts, so they shortened the switch! Cleaning and changing the contacts (signal lights high/low beam :-) ) helped.

The sound is generated by the relay directly.

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer

I had exactly the same problem here. I think it is quite common.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Yep, same here with my 1994 306 1.9 XLD. I get it very often. Can't be bothered to fix it. Just waggle the imdicator or indicate quickly and it stops.

Reply to
Simon Armitage

Yep, i had the same on my old 306 DT, a waggle usually fixed it.

Mine started to smoke so I thought that more than a waggle was called for. :-)

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Not a big job, just take it off, open it and clean it.

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer

Same here :-) Happened to my Mom who drove at that time and she was kinda shocked...

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer

After air whittling and then hitching up their pants, Tobias Meyer muttered into alt.autos.peugeot:

nice one.. thanks for all the help guys!

Reply to
David Beamish