Intermitent starting problem 306 td - Part Deux

Following on from my original topic posted a week or so ago, please see below.

I have a 1998 306 turbo diesel and not had any problems with it until now. The problem occurs upon starting the vehicle. I wait for the glow plug warming lights to go off, turn the ignition key, the engine turns over but nothing else happens.

This doesn't occur every time and I have already taken it to one garage

that could not find the problem, their solution was to go to a peugeot garage and I don't really like the =A3=A3=A3 sound of that.

Starter motor is fairly new but I assume the car would not turn over at

all if this was fault.

I would be much obliged if anyone has any suggestions before I start writing a blank cheque to the french nation!

Part Deux

I took my car to the Peugeot garage as the previous garage said they could not find out what was wrong, although I think they just didn't want the work!

The peugeot garage said that my 306 failed on a compression test and they wanted to take the head gasket apart for an inspection. This they told me would take 4.7 hrs work to take off, then if replacement was required that cost as well and then another 4.7 hrs labour to put any new one back on, total cost of about =A3990.

Obviously I told them to do one and try and rob a blind man instead. After speaking to some other people they feel that the head gasket could not cause this intermittent problem.

Do any of you have any thoughts on my continual saga?

Reply to
garetherichards

Have you checked the valve clearances, they could affect a compression test and starting.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Another possibilty is air entering the fuel system. I had a very similar problem with a 1.9D Clio - erratic starting, OK once started and after revving a bit.

I eventually noticed fuel weeping from the manual priming pump. On dismantling I found a perforated diaphragm. Evidently this also let air in when the engine was not running. A new diaphragm fixed the problem.

Peter

Reply to
Eccles

You will have the black plastic fuel filter housing on the top of the thermostat housing on that engine. Had a 405 with similar problem, and it turned out to be air being sucked onto the fuel filter. At the bottom of the housing, rear LH as you look at it from the front of the car, there is a blanking plug. This was leaking and allowing air in. New filter housing and all was much better. But as has been said already, tight valve clearances will cause problems, and correcting this will make a world of difference to starting.

Reply to
Brian

I have a 1998 306 turbo diesel and not had any problems with it until now. The problem occurs upon starting the vehicle. I wait for the glow plug warming lights to go off, turn the ignition key, the engine turns over but nothing else happens.

This doesn't occur every time and I have already taken it to one garage

that could not find the problem, their solution was to go to a peugeot garage and I don't really like the £££ sound of that.

Starter motor is fairly new but I assume the car would not turn over at

all if this was fault.

I would be much obliged if anyone has any suggestions before I start writing a blank cheque to the french nation!

Part Deux

I took my car to the Peugeot garage as the previous garage said they could not find out what was wrong, although I think they just didn't want the work!

The peugeot garage said that my 306 failed on a compression test and they wanted to take the head gasket apart for an inspection. This they told me would take 4.7 hrs work to take off, then if replacement was required that cost as well and then another 4.7 hrs labour to put any new one back on, total cost of about £990.

Obviously I told them to do one and try and rob a blind man instead. After speaking to some other people they feel that the head gasket could not cause this intermittent problem.

Do any of you have any thoughts on my continual saga?

Reply to
Michael Roche

I think you should give Watson Diesels a ring and ask them as i think it is the pump timing out .tel number 02088793584-02088793861 or you could check air filter dirty or clogged.stop solenoid faulty.air in fuel system.wax formed in fuel. this just a few things that is said in the haynes, so good luck.

Reply to
Chris

If the pump timing was out, you would either get white smoke (retarded) or you would hear the engine knocking with pre-ignition (advanced). Either way it would not be intermittant. Have you established that the heater plugs are actually coming on? Yes, low compression would cause difficult starting, especially on a cold morning, but it would always be like that. Otherwise you could have air getting into the system, or a fuel shortage for some reason. Try slackening off one of the high pressure pipes to an injector, and see if you get fuel seeping out when you spin the engine.. Only slacken it a little.m If no fuel comes out, or you get bubbles, then this will tell you quite a lot. Are you sure that the shut-off solenoid is OK. If the wire to this has a bad connection, it won't open, so no fuel to engine. They can also stick closed.

Reply to
Brian