Just bought 406 Coupe and got a few problems ....

Hi all, this is my first post in this. I've been browsing this group for the last 3 months getting as much info on the 406 Coupe as possible and I am now the proud owner of one ;)

i have a 2.0 SE version (2000) with everything except Sat Nav and because I got it from a Pug dealer I have 3 months warranty, so I would like to get everything sorted before this runs out. At the moment these are the problems I have.

I would be greatly appriceiated if you could have a look at the problems and let me know what might cause it or any other info you can. Here goes ...

- When I turn the car on, i get "Brake fluid level low" and the handbrake light flashes (faulty switch maybe?). There is plenty of fluid in the reserve. Also, it takes about 7 clicks until the handbrake is fully engaged (shouldn't it be 3-4)?

- When I press the accelerator pedal all the way down there's a rattling sound coming out of the engine.

- The car is 'lazy' in 2nd and 3rd under 2000rpm. Is this normal?

- Cruise control doesnt work at all (I've folowed it to the book, but just in case: get to speed, press button on, then rapidly push up on the stalk)

- Intermittent mode on windscreen wiper doesnt work (rain sensor failiure?)

- Rattling from passenger side air vent (summat stuck in it?)

Apart from that, the car's beautiful and perfect. I knew that there would be a few problems with it being a 2nd hand car and just want everything sorted before my warranty runs out.

Thanks very much fo your help.

Reply to
elshadoobuccus

??? - 3 MONTHS WARRANTY! - It's usually 12 months, why 3 ?

Get it back to the dealer and get him to sort these problems quick. The longer you leave it, the less come back you have.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Absolutely. Those problems should have been sorted out before the car was picked up.

Reply to
Malc

When I bought the car I aws told that used car warranty was a standard

3 months .... have I been jipped?

Reply to
elshadoobuccus

Hi

Your intermittant wip must be turned off and back on again after you have switched the ignition on

this stops burn out if you have snow etc.

cant really comment about the rest

Tony R

Tony R

Reply to
Anthony Redshaw

that's a dealer sort out, however i've nevver driven a pug ( or any french car for that matter) that had a german hand brake... meaning that when you sort it out you have do do it every year again.

the handbrake light might be knakered, or the pads might be worn same goes for the brake fluid level,

all these gremlins might be connected

seems to me you need an oil change!!!

if it is the standard HDi yes, under the 2000 rpm the turbo does jack all, you might find an ODB remapping usefull ( don't ask for it at the dealers....) however yours runs on petrol, it should go easy in those rev's

get them to show you how the thing works, or let thme heve it sort out

you might want to reset it, switch it of, and than on again, it should work ( cover it with your hand to test it

LEAVES! should not be there though..

yes it's beautyfull...

Reply to
Marc

When I got my 306 from a peugeot dealer is had 10 months manufacturer warranty left on it. They extended that so make up their "compulsory 12 months" as the put it.

Reply to
No-One

Yes, I believe the law requires dealers to put 12months on a used car, if not it has to be sold as seen.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Cheers for that, actally worked this morning in the rain which was excellent. Another question though, I have the JBL system and on my head unit when I set the LOUDNESS function then switch from CD - Radio the loudness turns off. Is this normaL? Other bass/treble/fader/balance settings are saved fine ?

THanks]##

Reply to
elshadoobuccus

Incorrect.

The law doesn't require any warranty at all.

BUT, the consumer act says that goods sold, have to be of "satisfactory condition" and "fit for the purpose they're sold for" - with used cars, the law is usually applied over a 3 month period from the time of sale.

If it's a Peugeot franchised dealer, then you have a 12-month warranty - it's part of the Lion-approved Used Car thing !

Reply to
Nom

That's normal. It will retain the loudness setting even when the radio is tirned off then on again until you change mode from CD to radio or casette etc.

Robiin Bendall

Reply to
Robin Bendall

Just got car back from the dealer, and they were extremely helpful. They changed the handbrake switch, also the rattling when accelerating was due to a cracked exhaust manifold, which was changed. The switches in the cruise control were bust so that's all fixed, also reset the power management computer or something and changed the sparks to get the power going again at low revs. Also cleaned in and out and I got new car mats all over cos the driver side one was missing!

Thanks for all your help, I can now *really* enjoy this car ...

On another topic, anyone ever wired a 2nd amp to the JBL one? I want to put a couple of subs in but don't want to start taking interior out etc. to wire it up, can I take power from the JBL amp? I need live and switched live (remote) so it doesn't stay on when the radio is switched off?

Thanks

Reply to
elshadoobuccus

I have seen this done by using a power relay from the electric aerial power take off to switch power to another amp.

You can take the sound feed from the existing speakers and us a low-pass filter for stereo subs, not that the human ear can distinguish sounds that low for a stereo image!

This is why we have sub-woofers, cos base sound is too low for us to make out the source, so it can come from pretty much anywhere really.

With this in mind, would a single sub and a crossover amp be a better solution.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Don't see why not. Get out your multimeter, and double check the wiring before you start.

Reply to
Nom

Another question ... I recently had to put the bak seats down, and pressed them buttons on the top of the seats. But now they won't lock back into place when I push them back. How do I do it?

Thanks

Reply to
elshadoobuccus

"elshadoobuccus" wrote: > Another question ... I recently had to put the bak seats down, > and > pressed them buttons on the top of the seats. But now they > won't lock > back into place when I push them back. How do I do it? > > Thanks

Make sure the seatbelts are not trapped and push them back quite quickly and firmly, should just clip back in.

Reply to
bigmac999

Ensure the seat-lock within the boot is unlocked. Read your manual !

Reply to
Nom

Managed to do it, just slammed it a bit. Knew about that switch but I still can't find it!!!!

Also, how do you take those tacks off that hold the carpet in in the boot? I want to get to the amp ... ?

Thanks

Reply to
elshadoobuccus

NO, This is NOT incorrect....... just a little incorrect... - There is no

12month limit, it could be longer.....

I quote from April edition of 'What Car' magazine 2005 - Page 107 - Bottom Right hand column - Helpline section.

"When a consumer buys a car from a business the Law states that it must be of 'satisfactory quality'. That means it has to be of a standard a reasonable person would consider satisfactory, given the car's age and price. Any attempt by a business to lower, or indeed no, standard of quality is automatically invalid."

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Er, it is incorrect. The law does not require dealers to put 12months warranty on used cars.

Which is exactly what I said :)

Reply to
Nom