Lost key for 406?

Hi All,

I've got an S-plate 406 GL that has no keypad immobiliser, I think this was the first year they stopped that, incorporating the immobiliser into the key fob instead.

I only have one set of keys for it and I'm worried that it'll be costly if I lose them. Is it worth going through the hassle (and I'm sure >300 quid dealer expense) of getting a spare set cut & programmed?

I've never actually lost a key in my life, but came close once or twice. I also have no need for a spare other than for backup.

I'm thinking that the cost of an emergency call-out re-key would be the about the same as getting a set made in advance...does that sound right? If so, I'd take the gamble on not losing the keys vs. the inconvenience of maybe having to be locked out for a while.

Has anyone got any thoughts? I wouldn't want to blindly do nothing and one day face having to replace all lock barrels in the car!! Searching for info on the web isn't really telling me anything about the process you have to go through to get spares cut, or deal with lost keys, so I don't have a clue what is required either way.

Thanks in advance!

F./

Reply to
Fraser

I just got a new key from Peugeot main dealer for my 1998 (S) 3.0 V6. Cost £70 and £15 to programm. Unfortunately has to come from FRANCE! and took 5-6 months!!!!!

HTH

Reply to
mattl

Can you tell me what they need to know to get it ordered? I tried asking at my local dealer, but the guy working there was absolutely no use. Unfortunately, I don't have the handbook, but I've got all the other legal bits & bobs.

Cheers,

F./

Reply to
Fraser

-BUMP-

Sorry for the repost, but can anyone help with this? I need to know what information is required to order spare keys, Peugeot dealers are being of little help as humanly possible to me.

F.

Reply to
Fraser

I had one replaced about 14 months ago on a 406 3.0Ltr coupe. It cost £76.

The keys are primary\secondary or master\slave. Some dealers use one or the other terminology.

You need to take your key to a Peugeot dealer and they will split it open and read the number printed inside. The code within the key will tell them if you need a master or slave plus will also give them the information to send to Peugeot to get the key cut so that it operates mechanically.

When the key comes back they will program the new key in for you so that the plip function operates alarm and immobiliser. I vaguely recall that there might have been slight complications if the master was the one that was missing but it could be overcome so that should not concern you.

People lose keys all the time so the dealers that have been unhelpful are a bit of a surprise or perhaps you just spoke to someone who doesn't deserve the boring service job that they have.

Liam

Reply to
Noone

My 406 is the same year as yours. I too only had one key, and wanted another for my wife to use. The Peugeot main dealership in Cheltenham (large one) opened the key and ordered a secondary key.

After 10 weeks, I contacted them to chase it. They had "lost" the order. They re-ordered. After 6 weeks I chased again, it wasnt in. Eventually after nearly 6 MONTHS they got the key in. Unfortunately, the car had been involved in a prang in a previous life, and the locks replaced. Consequently, the new key did not fit. A new key had to be cut, and then the plip fitted to it.

They failed to set up the codes correctly (did not reprogram with computer, just did some trick to read codes back from the lock) and I ended up stranded in Wales when the system dumped its codes in a thunderstorm!

Since then, I have gone to the dealership in Gloucester instead, who sorted out the problem promptly, and recoded the system with their PC. They were very helpful, and the issue is now resolved.

So, in short.....

1) If you can live with one key, do so. 2) Make sure that the dealership you go to know what they are doing, and do it right 3) Be prepared to cough up 70 quid and wait several months!

Sorry to be so negative, but this has been my experience!

rgds, John Ricketts

Reply to
John Ricketts

Thanks to both Liam and John for their replies; that's exactly the info I was after. I'd almost given up on this thread, but usenet came through in the end! ;-)

From John's nightmare, looks like it could cause a lot of pain. My parents used to live near someone who works in a Pug dealership, so I've asked them to try and look him up for me. Hopefully, with a friendly face driving the task, things shouldn't take too long or become half-assed farces. I can understand a lack of conviction in some dealers doing this; the gross value of the sale is less than the profit made from all the other parts/services they provide!!

Is there any way to visually tell the master key from the slave? I don't have the owners handbook, but I did borrow one from a friend and I read through it. I remember reading about how there was a second key that could do tricks with the boot, depending on which way you turned it. I take it this is the same thing?

The key I have has two buttons, the lock toggle, and a deadlock button. AFAIK, it works in every lock, but I can't say I've actually tried them all, the battery for the remote is still going strong!! I'm guessing it's the master, but I've not got much to back that up.

Cheers,

Fraser.

Reply to
Fraser

If you open the plip casing (with a screwdriver at the "ring" end) there is a small tag inside with the key number. It ends with "pri" or "sec", for primary (master) or secondary (slave).

Reply to
Nigel

Both keys look exactly the same. The factor which determines which is master or slave is in the electronics within the plastic housing which contains both the alarm and deadlock buttons.

My new one which I know was a master has an identification number strip on the outside which is just stuck-on strip which I would remove if the key was ever needed. The code number begins with "P" which may mean Primary. There are no numbers or strips with numbers on inside therefore I guess the techie who sorted mine out could tell the difference between primary\secondary or master\slave (whatever they call them) just by looking at the chips on the board inside the Plip.

I am not aware that either key has a different mechanical function. I do not think that Peugeot are quite that sophisticated with their keys. My other car (Volvo V70 T5) does have an extra third (valet) key which will not open the glove box or allow the vehicle to run.

Liam

Reply to
Noone

Totally forgotten about this thread due to Christmas etc!! I just popped it open and it's the Primary I have, which I assume is good. I've taken a note of the number for now, I'll chase it up later.

Thanks for the info everyone; just what I was looking for!!

Fraser.

Reply to
Fraser

I had only one key, Took it to a place in Wigan,, cost me £27.00 for a new chipped key which is an exact clone of my one original key.

It works 100% and have no problems..

If anyone wants the address of the place they can do peugeot keys upto year 2000.

It doesn,t work the Central locking but is cheap enough as a backup..

Reply to
Billy The Kid

try

for programming.

When you say it doesn't work the central locking, do you mean it doesn't have a remote?

Reply to
daddyfreddy