MOT FOR MY 306 D TURBO HAS JUST COST ME £333

Just had M.O.T done on my p reg 306 d turbo. Its cost a HUGE £333 (not funny)

Work done included

2 new wishbones as the bushes were "worn to excess" the car was unstable and steering was off, this was the cause it was said 2 new tyres - because the wishbones had knocked the tracking out, therefore buggering the tyres up Tracking sorted 2 new front brake pads handbrake adjusted as it wasnt working on the back right wheel (think it was just cleaned off or freed up, no parts used in other words)

Although the car handles like it should now and its "hairy steering moments seem to be gone" am i not the only one to think that £333 is excessive. My mate said it was.

Would like to hear thoughts of what these parts cost seperately and general views about the price ive been charged and what is usually charged.

Im thinking tyres (not brilliant brand) must have cost £90 at most for 2(14 inch)

Wishbones my mate said are about £20

Brake pads about £15 for the pair

Tracking is just labour so no parts there

Working it out i wouldnt say parts have cost no more than £150. so that leaves nearly £200 in labour charges!

Thanks

Reply to
Damo

Not unreasonable for a main dealer I would if thought - especially if it included the tyres. If it wasn't a main dealer perhaps a bit excessive.

Jim

Reply to
Damo

I think you'll find wisbones are much more than that. When I've got 205 ones in the past they've been about £50 each.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Agreed. They're gonna be charging somewhere around £40 an hour, so three hours for that lot sounds fine to me.

A bill for £333 is nothing in car-land. Remember, your P-plate car will be ten years old soon ! Things do wear out, and things will need replacing - you need to budget for this sort of thing.

Reply to
Nom

That reminds me, watch out with replacement wishbones. I had 2 sent back and replaced because the bushes failed. In the end I gave up and brought some Superflex bushes (£40 for a set) and just replaced them. Eveverything was fine after that, so you may want to look into getting that done if its just the bushes that have play in them. And it will work out cheaper.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I had a wishbone changed on the wife's 106 for the MOT. I suspect it's quicker for the garage to change the whole wishbone rather than just the bushes. If you think about it the wishbone is never going to wear out so I suspect they come with bushed and then it's just a straight swap. IIRC they charged about 2 hours labour which didn't seem excessive to me.

On the whole I reckon £333 is about right for the work the OP had done. 2-3 hours for the wishbones, 1 hour taking the car to the tyre depot, 1 hour for the brakes at a minimum of £30 per hour gives £150.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"" wrote: > Just had M.O.T done on my p reg 306 d turbo. Its cost a HUGE > £333 (not > funny) > > Work done included > > 2 new wishbones as the bushes were "worn to excess" the car > was unstable and > steering was off, this was the cause it was said > 2 new tyres - because the wishbones had knocked the tracking > out, therefore > buggering the tyres up > Tracking sorted > 2 new front brake pads > handbrake adjusted as it wasnt working on the back right wheel > (think it was > just cleaned off or freed up, no parts used in other words) > > Although the car handles like it should now and its "hairy > steering moments > seem to be gone" am i not the only one to think that £333 is > excessive. My > mate said it was. > > Would like to hear thoughts of what these parts cost > seperately and general > views about the price ive been charged and what is usually > charged. > > Im thinking tyres (not brilliant brand) must have cost £90 at > most for 2(14 > inch) > > Wishbones my mate said are about £20 > > Brake pads about £15 for the pair > > Tracking is just labour so no parts there > > Working it out i wouldnt say parts have cost no more than > £150. so that > leaves nearly £200 in labour charges! > > Thanks

Hi, I dont know price of bits, but just looking at the jobs done on the car gives me the impression that you were not keeping an eye on the general things, like excessive tyre wear, poor roadholding. The overall cost seems that you got quite a lot done for your money. The cost of that repair is less than I pay sometimes for a full service + a few extra bits. Cars do require attention sometimes, and if you are going to wait until MOT time to sort them out, then that is the time you are going to have to pay. T.

Reply to
Tonyh

excess"

Am I the only one who is worried that you only had a single pair of pads replaced? Both pairs should be replaced at the same time surely? I?d have thought that was fairly reasonable for a car that is starting to age, especially given the amount of work done. Put it this way, I?ve been quoted a lot more for a lot less (check how much the conveniance fitters charge for brakes).

Streltsky

Reply to
Streltsky

But he both fron pairs replaced.

They were !

By "2 new front brake pads" he means front left and front right. The fact that there are two pads per side, is neither here nor there. Nobody is going to change one side and not the other !

Reply to
Nom

Hi,

Oh, come on, perhaps with some greasy monkeys or Kwik-Fit dream team, but it seems as an evidence to me that pads (as discs or drum shoes) have to be changed by pairs (ie both sides).

Damn so I'll post this a bit too late. TBH Nom has IMO pretty constructive replies and like him I assume both pairs of pads were changed.

First of all that's my first post in this thread (and I also do think the price seems correct, esp with two tyres), and regarding my replies they're pretty pale if you compare them to the ones I gave some years ago. I guess the only thing which hasn't changed is I'm still a proud Pug owner :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

He didn't need to - it's a given !

He specifically said "2 new front brake pads"

That means front left, and front right. So two pairs. So four individual pads in total.

Learn that not everyone is full of mechanical knowledge. You can't expect Joe Public to know that there are infact two pads per wheel.

No garage would do that. Imagine what would happen when there was a big fatal accident, and the Police investigators found the brakes in that state...

Apology accepted :)

Yep.

Look harder.

That's what Usenet is for !