MPH + km/h replacement speedo dial

Hi All,

Since I will be importing my Peugeot 306 phaseII (1.4 petrol) into the UK shortly I am looking for a replacement speedo dial that includes MPH as well as km/h scales. Unfortunately my car doesn't have a rev gauge (it has the big ugly analog clock :( ) and all of the replacement dial-kits (Lockwood e.o.) only supply kits with the rev-gauge dial included. So my question is: Does anyone know of anywhere (I've tried Ebay) where I could possibly find a replacement speedo dial (including the digital milage window), or does anyone have one spare somewhere?

Cheers,

Bas

Reply to
Bas

Not sure if this is a valid comment, but can't you just purchase new 'dial' stickers? In the sense you stick them over the top of your old speedo (like white versions). This would be cheaper I would have thought, thats if they do one for your car.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Palmer

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, but have so far been unable to find them (online). Cheers for the tip mate!

Bas

Reply to
Bas

Ehrm, I just remembered, the scales have to be visible at night, so stickers would not be a solution in my case, since the dials are lit from behind.

Bas

Reply to
Bas

Most of the stickers are semi-transparent I believe.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

what about finding a similar model in a scrap yard and taking it's dials?

Reply to
Triple-S

Look, I hate to say this, but aren't you making a rod for your own back? If a RHD MPH unit from a UK scrapyard will fit, fit it, otherwise either cannibalise the dial facing from a MPH car or use the stickers and live in trepidation with the knowledge that MOT stations and the police will ignore it anyway.

Happy motoring - you'll soon get used to calculating MPH from your KMH speedo - I did!

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

Thanks for all your tips, will see what I can find. Maybe I am making too big a deal of it ;)

Bas

Reply to
Bas

Hi,

BTW, aren't kilometers the theoric legal unit in UK, instead of the miles ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Go and wash your mouth out with soap! That's akin to blasphemy over here.

Reply to
Buccaneer

Hi,

I could well be upset with such an answer :-) I can't figure out, being a Frenchy, where is the blasphemy. That's just a way to ask how Brits tend to use the SI units :-) Of course I understand imperial units like the inches, miles and some others (mils for example), but I prefer coping with metric units.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Actually we're pretty up to date using miles. When I was a kid we still had measures called Rods, Poles and Perches and another called a Chain. Don't ask me what any of them were though 'cos it is so long ago ;o)

Reply to
Buccaneer

From the DfT brochure regarding importing cars into the UK:

"Great Britain uses imperial units for speed measurement. The law requires that speedometers must

include a miles-per-hour display. Please note in particular that any modified display must be visible in

daylight and in darkness.

Markings may be added to the existing speedometer provided they are:

- accurate;

- durable;

- can be seen clearly in daylight and when the instrument is lit during darkness."

The strange thing is that if I plan to stay in the UK for less than 6 months I can carry on driving (have to be insured and taxed in home country) but if I plan on staying in the UK indefinitely I can't even drive a single mile in it, exept for drives to the MOT station..... I might claim I'm staying temporary at first.... ;)

Bas

Reply to
Bas

particular that any

last year I almost bought a Belgian registered Alfa 33 that had been here in the UK for about 5 years....

The only time I've ever had grief on the ferries is when (a) arriving back in Portsmouth with a LHD UK registered car and (b) arriving in Dover with a Belgian registered car. As I'm a brit I know every rule in the book applies to me but if you arrive here as a foreigner you'll have no problems with the authorities about your foreign reg car for ages. I'm sure that you don't plan to stay here permanently until you have made your mind up - that'll take at least 5 months!

Needless to say I've worked for a number of co's here on the south coast who have many employees arriving every day in their French, Italian and German registered cars.... Even if you become a permanent resident here you WERE planning to return your car back to it's country of registration to sell it, weren't you?

(Don't forget to look into the rule book again - you may find there is an age or year requirement before which the car does not need a KMH speedo - if in doubt - sell me the car really cheap and that'll sort the problem!)

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:43:17 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "G.T" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

In the UK we have the typically British fudge of gradual change, with most things now being measured in metric, but some old imperial units hanging on. Millimetres, kg, litres, etc. are commonplace, but road distances are still measured in miles & speed in miles per hour, beer in bars is served in pints, but bottled beer is labelled in millilitres, Fuel is sold in litres but fuel economy is measured in miles per gallon.

We should have had a changeover date like we did with decimal currency. Before that date, pints and feet; after that date, litres and metres. No messing about with transition periods or dual units. IIRC, the decimal currency was introduced with very little problems.

Personally, I blame the French. If Napoleon had got his act together and invaded us, we would have a proper system of measurement, and be driving on the right.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula