New idle speed 550rpm 405TD - nice and quiet

Just for info if you may want to change yours.

Mine was set to 1000 when I got the car but this was a bit noisy and I thought I'd put it back to 750. In doing so I set it as low as possible (500) and increased the speed to see what was both quietest and the least vibrations and rattle free.

Surprisingly at 500-550 it is very quiet and only has a bit of vibration, quite acceptable for me so I've set it there. This is a huge improvement in noise compared to 1000 rpm. The hot/cold (fast idle) doesn't seem to work on my car so even this (cold) morning it ran fine. I will check to see if the hot cable is actually moving and try to adjust this to work. This will probably mean I dont need to use the throttle to start it as well. (dependin on what I set the cold idle speed to)

I do need to start it with some throttle now though (to start it ASAP), it will start without but its not as quick. This isn't really a bother since I have to sit and wait for the glow plugs anyway so there's plenly of time to put my foot on the throttle.

I also need a bit of throttle for parking manouvers but I am getting used to this very quickly, also without throttle the engine struggles a bit with the PAS pump but it doesn't stall and I use a bit of throttle when parking now anyway.

I also changed the throttle sensitivity (the cable now pulls further away from the pivot so it's less sensitive) and took a load of slack out of the cable and this feels much better all round - town/motorway and parking.

All in all i'm very pleased.

Reply to
405 TD Estate

"> Just for info if you may want to change yours.

I would agree with a lower rpm than 1000 as long as vibration is not pronounced. Got mine to 750 or so. It is a lot quiter and whether its coinsidence, my mpg has also improved.

The wax cold start is easy to adjust - with the engine cold have the wire taut. The wire should be slack with the engine hot. Set up is a bit more complicated and probably not necessary with 750rpm but I would think it needs it at 550.

Reply to
Gavin