oil and distributor

I think some oil is comming into contact with the disrtibutor as I have experinced some blue smoke from the bonnet, backfiring and poor running.

Do you thing that leakeage from the top of the dipstick could cause these symptoms.

I've also noticed when the car is not exhibiting these symptoms that it pulls badly uphill. Could this be a symptom of a worn distributor (mixture, plugs, leads, and coil ok).

Thanks

pug 205 1.6 GTI

Reply to
species8350

Have the disrtibutor looked at it be wear in the shaft which ahs the rotor arm at the end of it, if that shaft is worn you can get all sort of problems, one way to find out if it is worn remove the cap and try and move the shaft side to side if it moves from side to side you got problems,when was it serviced? like replace plugs,leads,cap. oil etc.the coil might be sparking across to something metal try moving it away from metal,

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for the response.

On an 80,000 ml Pug, I expect there will be wear.

could this cause oil contamination?

best wishes.

Sp.

Reply to
species8350

Oil is more likely to be from somewhere else. A favourite is the oil pressure switch, another is the engine top cover gasket. In your original thread you mentioned the dipstick. In a recent query on this group someone had a blocked engine breather which caused internal pressure and forced oil out of the dipstick hole.

Reply to
Keith W

Yes,

I had this very same problem. Some oil was passing the top of the dipstick.

I wonder if this could be causing electrical problems around the distributor?

Thanks

Reply to
species8350

Quite possibly. I guess there's only one way to find out.

Reply to
Keith W

Is the dipstick and distributor that close??

Reply to
Chris

It is quite close

Reply to
species8350

Do you mean, keep the area claean, and hope the problem vanishes

Reply to
species8350

They don't need to be. The oil creeps and, if left, soon smothers just about everything. That is particularly noticeable when the leak is from the pressure switch.

Reply to
Keith W

If you can find the breather then it is worth checking that it is not blocked. If it is not then something else is causing pressure to build up in the crankcase and the only way it can get out is through the dipstick hole. Hate to say it but the only thing I can think of is if the piston rings aren't up to the job.

Reply to
Keith W

..

The breather is blocked, but I can clean it

Reply to
species8350

Dont put all the muck all over the road or down the drains,

Reply to
Chris

Do you mean, keep the area claean, and hope the problem vanishes

Have you looked under the bonnet with the engine running to see where the smoke is coming from? Have you checked for contamination between oil and coolant? How are the levels? Is there oil visible on the distributor, or is everything under the bonnet oily? If not, what is it that makes you think the distributor is involved, it seems unlikely to me.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat