Oil Consumption

Hi,

ref. Pug 205 1.6 GTI

I have noticed that since having a new oil filter fitted and fresh oil (when having a cambelt replaced) that oil consumption appears to be reduced.

Does a new filter and fresh oil lead to less oil consumption?

Thanks

Reply to
species8350

In the old days used oil was always thinner than new. New oil always reduced consumption and improved emission test results. Whether it is true of the modern synthetic oils I don't know.

Reply to
Keith W

Hi Keith,

I've been experiencing such a behavior with 15w40 oil on my good, old and trusted 205. The most visible part was the improved performance in the first hundreds of miles (even with the oil change alone, not oil & filters).

I guess it is still true nowadays, as oil still tends to be loaded with some crap along its lifetime. The point is, that most engines now use "almost racing" full synthetic oils in conjunction with better adjustements made to engine parts themselves, this altogether leading to a better stability and extended oil change intervals. If one had the guts to bring, say, a HDi or modern petrol engine far beyond the scheduled change interval (20,000km for my 2L HDI), I'm pretty sure he (or she :-) ) would notice the lack of performance & fuel economy.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T