Oil 'seeping' into filler cap on 306 XSi - How??

I have an older 306 XSi. I noticed a little while ago that there was a little oil sitting in the mouldings in the oil filler cap. Thinking I'd just been messy when I last added oil, I wiped it away. But I now see that it's back again...

I can't imagine how oil can get here, unless it is somehow creeping past the cap seal, up the sides of the cap, and into the moulded depressions. I'm wondering if this is a bizzare symptom of a problem somewhere.

There's not a lot of oil doing this, but it's more than a smear, if you get me. Any clues?

Thanks J

Reply to
The Night Tripper