Oil temp gauge 405

I've got a '92 405STi. The oil temp gauge on the dash doesn't work - probably cos, as far as I can see, there's no connection to the sender at the front of the sump! Problem is, I can't find a wire to attach to said sender. Does anyone know if it's possible the gauge was an optional extra that was fitted but not connected? Or am I missing something more obvious?

TIA

Alan

Reply to
Alan

it would have been connected if the guage and sender unit is there, look a bit harder for the plug, or look around the wiring harness near the sump to see if anythings been cut off. steve.

Reply to
anon

Hi

Do you mean the gauge in the bottom left hand corner that says MINI & MAXI on it? 1 x 3rd lights up red & the other 2 x 3rds light up white at start up? If you do then thats a LEVEL gauge only.

Im pretty sure the STI only had a level gauge fitted.

Mi16s, Mi16 Le-Mans & T16s had a dual oil level / temp gauge.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

Ah...is it? Hmm...same problem then - no movement on it.

Reply to
Alan

Hi

Ok, The gauge will only show the oil level while the engine ISNT running, IE: Turn the ignition on for the warning light check & the gauge should show the oil level.

The sensor for the gauge is screwed into the engine block, Check the electrical connector plug for a dirty connection ( Typical Peugeot wiring fault on a 405 )

The STI has the XU10J2 engine fitted, Also the cars with aircon have a different oil level probe to the non aircon cars ( Dont you just love Peugeot )

Aircon equipped cars need part number 1331 75 Non aircon cars need part number 1331 70

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

Hi

Heres a picture of what the gauge should do before start up

Heres what is should look like when the engines running

Lee Power via CarKB.com

Hi,

I have P/N 1131.75.

I have P/N 1131.70, using the 2002 spares parts CD. New PN or is it a typo ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Wow! Thanks for the detailed info! Just to show my total numptiness, can you let me know where on the engine block the sensor is? There seems to be a couple of senders screwed into the sump, neither of which have any wires attached! It's non-aircon if that helps.

Thanks again,

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Hi

The sender unit ISNT screwed into the sump, Is it the one at the back of the sump with a blue connector you have spotted? Thats the oil temp sensor.

The level sender is screwed into the engine block, The location of it doesnt change if it has aircon fitted or not, Its just a different sender that is listed by Peugeot for some reason.

I will have a look at my XU10J2 lump tomorrow in the daylight, Im pretty sure looking from the front of the 405, Near where the engine & gearbox join up you will find it screwed into the block.

Its well hidden under some pipes & wires, But its easy to get to it if you know where to look.

Ill get back to you tomorrow evening.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com