old 205

have a pug 205 1992 petrol auto .need help on this one first start very well go down road very well stop at shop about 5 mins come out and its a sod to start. have replaced plugs leads airfilter and dis cap.could it be the fuel pump?? when the car is running it runs very well also ticks over very well.so if anybody know whats wrong with this please let me know then i can put it right for the wife , thank chris addlestone

Reply to
Chris

go down road very well stop at shop about 5 mins come out and its a sod to start. have replaced plugs leads airfilter and dis cap.could it be the fuel pump?? when the car is running it runs very well also ticks over very well.so if anybody know whats wrong with this please let me know then i can put it right for the wife , thank chris addlestone You don't say if this is fuel injection or carb?

On a Carb model it could well be an air leak weakening the mixture. Effect would be masked by the auto choke when cold. Look at the butterfly bearings and maybe the gasket on the inlet manifold. If it is an injection model download the fault codes and take it from there.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi,

In addition, it could be a trick with the auto choke. On 405s, there was a manual choke retrofit available at Peugeot. If it was a fuel pump problem, the car wouldn't run at all, or start for a couple of seconds, not more.

It is pretty unlikely to happen, but you could spend an hour checking the valves clearance. Pretty unlikely 'cause there are rods, and not the "classic" bolt & screw clearance trimming, this is very unlikely to move. The main inconvenient is, that's a real pain to trim (you'll need to calculate the right rod thickness, remove the camshaft, and so the cambelt, put the camshaft back on, fit back another timing belt & tensionner)...

Tomorrow I'm gonna move to vacation. I wish you a happy motoring.

HTH,

Reply to
G.T

Sorry Bob its got a carb.i think the float level might be out .

go down road very well stop at shop about 5 mins come out and its a sod to start. have replaced plugs leads airfilter and dis cap.could it be the fuel pump?? when the car is running it runs very well also ticks over very well.so if anybody know whats wrong with this please let me know then i can put it right for the wife , thank chris addlestone

Reply to
Chris

In the old days that would indicate a leaking copper float. Aren't the modern ones solid construction though?

Reply to
Tinkerer