peugeot 106 starting/stalling problem - arrgghh PLEASE help :(

Hi

My girlfriend's 1996 (P) mk 2 (current shape) 106 has an incredibly annoying starting/low idle/stalling problem.

Occasionally it will start first time, but more often than not, it will start and then die instantly. When it is running, it will idle incredibly low and, if you blip the throttle, it will stall. Similarly, if you brake hard from a high speed and dip the clutch, it will stall.

So far I have done this:

replaced plugs/leads replaced crankshaft sensor cleaned out air filter housing + ajoining pipes and throttle body assembly (which was full of gunk)

When any of the above things have been carried out, the car will act perfectly for a day or so and then start acting like a fool again.

This leaves the MAP sensor (does it have one?) and the stepper motor. I have read that the stepper motor is a common problem on all Peugeots, but I want to hear some other people's thoughts on this problem before I shell out for one. The car has recently been plugged into a diagnostic machine and no errors showed up.

This is driving me and my girlfriend mad now but we are not prepared to take it to Peugeot and be ripped off for them to plug it in and tell us that its the gear stick at fault.

Your thoughts/suggestions on this problem would be much, much appreciated.

Mark

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
Withnail

just had the very same symptoms with my 92 Nova and replaced all same parts (£300 worth in all) so I had the ECU checked out by the doctor

He found that one of the driver chips had gone TU. Turned out to be over fuelling. Nova now running great.

is the 106 fuel injected

sounds like over fuelling.

send the ECU to the doctor

dj

Reply to
Boy

just looked at the doctors web page and he shows a 106 ECU...........go for it.

dj

Reply to
Boy

when you start (without touching throttle and engine hot) does the idle speed kick up to about 1200 then drop down to 800 if so then i would say the stepper motor is working ok may be worth taking off the throttle body and cleaning it with carb cleaner(if its gunky if it looks clean dont bother) some of them suffered greatly from coil faults which used to spike the ecu and idle circuit could be it needs a coil pack which type does it have the one over the plugs or the one with leads?

Reply to
Mindwipe

Hi Mark

I've got a R reg 106 and i'm having the same problem. Have you sorted your problem yet? My garage can't seem to solve the prolem.

Dee

Reply to
littledee

Have you checked the coolant temperature sensor as it enables the ECU to detect when the engine is cold and prompts it to increase the idle speed and adjust the fuel / air mixture?

Reply to
Phoenix