Peugeot 205 Gearbox MA Type - 3rd try - still slipping.

This is probably going to sound nuts but I replaced my gearbox 3 months ago due to 2nd and 4th slipping. Afterwards it still slipped. So I bought another 2nd hand gearbox and had it replaced again.

Still the same problem. Aaaaah!!!

The gearstick is visibly vibrating and that causes it to pop out, it's also very noticeable going round corners. I basically have to drive her with one hand on the gear stick.

  1. 3 gearboxes all with the same fault.... very unlikely?
  2. Gear linkages seem ok.
  3. Lower engine mounting and gearbox mouting seem ok.

Can anyone suggest what I could do?

Thanks, John

Reply to
webmarketing

The gearlever, gearbox or engine mountings so far gone that they aren't damping vibration? That lets the gear lever or some other part of the gear selector linkage hit something unmoving and knock it out of gear, if I understand you correctly? If it is definatley slipping and not just getting knocked out of gear then you must have a knackered clutch, I can't believe that anybody would change the gearbox twice and not change the clutch at least once for this type of problem!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Yes you're right - I should have added clutch was brand new replaced also on 1st gearbox change!

It's definitely vibration that's causing it to slip back out of gear but the mounts look sound - they've not crumbled or anything....

Regards, John

Reply to
webmarketing

Sounds to me like a driveshaft problem..

Reply to
Reboot

alright.

i've done this. my car just rolled to a halt a while ago...and my immediate thought was the that diff had gone since one wheel had been slipping for about 10 minutes before it broke down. I have replaced the clutch and gearbox but still have no forward drive. The car will engage reverse and will turn the wheels in reverse. the gear selectors are all fine. The driveshafts are fine.

so what the HELL is the problem? ANy ideas anyone? I'm stumped!

it's a 53 plate peugeot 206

Thanks

-- Message posted using

information at

farmerandrew

Remove the gear box again, and check the main drive shaft sounds like it is not working. or broken.

Reply to
Chrs

alright.

i've done this. my car just rolled to a halt a while ago...and my immediate thought was the that diff had gone since one wheel had been slipping for about 10 minutes before it broke down. I have replaced the clutch and gearbox but still have no forward drive. The car will engage reverse and will turn the wheels in reverse. the gear selectors are all fine. The driveshafts are fine.

so what the HELL is the problem? ANy ideas anyone? I'm stumped!

it's a 53 plate peugeot 206

Thanks

-- Message posted using

information at

farmerandrew

Is it a new box you have fitted ????????? some thing deep down inside the box has failed, and the only way to find out is to strip it down or send it back and have it rebuilt.(sorry for the bad news)

Reply to
Chrs

bloody thing. Its the second time I've done it. I replaced the clutch first time and the gearbox second time. the gearbox has come from a working vehicle as I tested it at a breakers yard myself before removing it and putting it in my car.

Is there anything else that could go wrong say at the crankshaft end of the drive?

-- Message posted using

information at

farmerandrew

I think I've found the problem - but i'd welcome some thoughts...

when the gearbox and clutch bell housing go back onto the flywheel the driveshaft from the gearbox doesn't seem to reach the flywheel very well. I think somehow i may have got the whole thing done up again without the driveshaft making a connection with the flywheel.

Is this possible?

Any thoughts or advice....

Thanks

-- Message posted using

information at

farmerandrew

Yes this is possible, the shaft should be the same length as the old one or it will not fit into the clutch etc.so it looks like you got to remove it again and make sure it is the same lenght as the old one.

Reply to
Chrs

It's probably a typo, but is there any significance in the Subject line saying 205 gearbox and the car being a 206?

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Trust some too notice that..ahahaha

Reply to