peugeot 205 radiator fan

I have a G reg Peugeot 205 XL, the radiator fan does not kick in at all, how do I test to see if it is the actual fan or the thermostat switch Any advice?

Reply to
16valver

Hook the fan up to the battery and see if it goes roundy roundy

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

how do I do that? surely I will have to take off the factory fitted ends off the wires of the fan? Do I simply take fan out of car and put the positive and negative wireson the battery terminals?

Reply to
16valver

Hi 16valver

The usual reason for the fan to stop is that the temperature switch (usually mounted on the side of the radiator) is faulty. Try removing the plug from the switch, and plug a wire into the connector - thus doing what the switch should do. IF the switch is at fault, the fan should start when the ignition is switched on. If the fan does not start, your trouble is elsewhere. Have you checked the fuse?

IPG

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

Sorry 16, should have been more specific: If the connector has two terminals, you plug the wire into both. If the connector has three terminals (like my 605), plug the wire into terminals one and three. That is sufficient to test the connection. Good luck

IPG

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

"Ívar Pétur Guðnason" schreef in bericht news:cacraa$evl$ snipped-for-privacy@news.simnet.is...

Yes, I'm afraid this is very "usual. You could even say it is "traditional" with Peugeot/Citroen engines as I experienced...

Reply to
Linea Recta

In message , Ívar Pétur Guðnason writes

In my case I found that the switch worked perfectly, but was no longer mounted on the side of the radiator, it was just left dangling, so ther was no thermal connection.

A small bolt in place of the original rivet fixed that.

Good luck

Reply to
Dave English