Peugeot 206

206 1.4 petrol 2002, 47000 ish miles.

While driving on the motorway the other day (after about an hour) the engine management light came on (with a beep). Now, whenever I switch the engine on, after a few seconds the same thing happens - light comes on and stays on and beeps once.

Car drives perfectly fine, other than the light coming on, its hard to see what is wrong.

Any idea what this might be? Should I take it to Peugeot dealer, or would any garage be able to help?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David

The light means that there is an error message waiting to be read. You need to go to a repairer (not necessarily an expensive Pug agent) who has a reader that will plug in and download the message from the car's computer.

Reply to
Keith W

Is the fact that the engine light is still lit an indication that the problem (whatever it is) is still present? If the problem went away, would the engine management light stop lighting?

Knowing this would help me to decide whether the problem was just a one off (and see if it happens again - if I can reset the management system somehow) or whether it is a problem that needs dealing with straight away.

Thanks.

Keith W wrote:

Reply to
David

No, the light will stay on just to show that there was a problem and a code needs to be read. I think if you disconnect the battery for 30 mins this causes the management memory and light to be reset. So if after that the light comes back on when you drive then the problem has returned.

Hope that makes sense GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Reply to
David

Hmmm, that didn't appear to work - so either the problem still persists or it wasn't enough time. I'll try disconnecting the battery for a longer time... I know it sounds silly but I'm just removing the positive lead, is that enough?

Gary G J>> Is the fact that the engine light is still lit an indication that the

Reply to
David

Sorry for the flood of posts...

Rather than paying the £60 per hour rate for a mechanic to reset the ECU (or more for a pug garage) I figure it will be cheaper to buy an ECU reader / resetter.

Looking at this one:

Is this what I need do you think?

Thanks.

David wrote:

Reply to
David

Just the positive should do the trick, I know this worked in the 406 but maybe they have changed it in the 206. If all else fails a local garage with a reader should be able to plug it in and tell you what the fault is. They can also reset the system so you can see if it comes up again. I am sure that there are also 2 pins you can short out which also wipes the managment memory but i can't remember what they are. GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

If you have a good local garage or even a good peugeot garage nearby then it should take them no more than 15 minutes to plug in the reader so hopefully they can then tell you what it says and reset it. Hopefully if you can confirm the time it takes first then it won't cost you more than £15. I got a peugeot dealer to re programme a cd player to match the ecu for me and only cost me £12.

GGJ

David wrote:

Reply to
GGJ

You should never undo the positive first. (unless you've got a positive earth car)

Undoing the pos first means that if your spanner touches the car body there can be a sudden shower of sparks which may cure your constipation, but it won't do your car or your battery any good at all.

Even if you've got a totally dead battery, or if you're very careful not to touch earth, you should always - earth off first, earth on last. This is good practice, and good practice is *always* good practice.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The battery had a quick release on one terminal, so I removed that. It would seem odd to design a battery with a quick release on the terminal you're *not* meant to remove first, it was also the closest one to me as well (leaning over the bonnet towards the windscreen).

It had a '+' sign on it. The battery cover also had a big '+' sign on it at that end, its like they really wanted me to know it was there.

Perhaps I have a positive earth car?

shazzbat wrote:

Reply to
David

No. They haven't been Pos earth since the 60s. The quick release terminal is a modification. Be careful.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

They haven't been positive earth since they realised one of the reasons why

60's cars rusted away so quickly, electrolytic action, which coupled with the poor quality steel at the time meant many cars had big holes in them within a few years of being made.
Reply to
Keith W