Peugeot 306 1.4 - Oil Temperature Gauge - Head Gasket problem? - Please help!

Hi alt.autos.peugeot

I have a Peugeot 306 1.4 2000 (X) Meridian, and recently the oil temperature gauge has started to rise above 90, to 100 or more - at which point the 'STOP' light usually lights up on the dashboard. Please could you help me diagnose the problem, or give me some suggestions?

I've checked the oil level, which is fine.

When starting the car in a morning, or from cold - for the first

10-20 seconds it does not idle very well and the engine struggles to keep from stalling. Once I get moving however, it drives perfectly normal.

When stood in traffic, the temperature rises - however when driving quickly the temperature drops or is static. However, the temperature did rise to about 100 whist I was driving at 40mph, so I turned the ignition off in mid-drive and restarted the car - to which point the temperature dropped down to 80??? Faulty temperature sensor?

I have checked the oil - and can see that there is some water in there; however I have also been advised that some Peugeot engines do condensate, and produce water - so not necessarily a head gasket problem.

Although, yesterday evening I parked the car, and this morning I quickly checked the radiator coolant - and when turning the cap, it sounded like a bottle of pop opening - it was very pressurized.

I therefore believe the car has one of the following problems:

Head gasket on its way out Fan Radiator Water Pump

Could anyone help me diagnose this problem or give me some clues. Costs too?

Incidentally, coming from the blowers, the air in the car also smells funny - a sort of metallic smell (with the air con both on and off)?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
mdbuk