PEUGEOT 306 AUTO GEAR LEVER SHIFT

I just got a 2nd hand 306 Auto and I notice that I can shift the gear lever from Drive to 3 easily without any latching/clicking effect i.e. not like when shifting from N-Drive we can feel a click/latch. I wonder is this normal ? Therefore sometimes when I shift from N-D, it goes into 3 if I shift from N to D too fast.

Hope any 306 owners can answer this.

Thanks. Mac.

Reply to
Norbert Liew

Yes that is normal. It is a useful feature to enable the driver to use engine braking by forcing a downshift. There will be a click-stop from

3 to 2 to prevent you jumping too many gears at once, but with skill you can force that downchange too like you do when using a manual box.

All you are doing in that case is limiting the auto gearbox to its lower three gears. You can pull it back into D at any time to enable it to use all the gears.

Reply to
Phil Cook