Peugeot 306 engine problems

Hi can someone please help?? A freind of mine has the following problem with a 1999 1.4 Peugeot 306 LX: When cold the engine refuses to idle - need to keep foot on throttle to keep engine going else it stalls. When warm idle is high 1000 -

1500 rpm. Garage changed Lamda sensor, cured starting problem - now starts with no throttle. However still running high when warm, sometimes up to 3000 rpm. Also trip meter resets for no apparent reason. Can someone please advise as to problem or maybe if this is not the place a more appropriate newsgroup. Many thanks in advance.
Reply to
Gazza

I had this exact problem on my old 1.4 306. Turned out the ECU had blown. Once that was replaced it worked perfectly for about a month. Then the new ECU blew. After which I changed the car. I've heard that blowing ECUs like this can be caused but a faulty coil pack.

Reply to
No-One

ECU failure is very rare. More likely is that when the ECU was changed over it operated in the same way as an ECU reset. i.e. if you disconnect the battery it resets the ECU and upon reconnection and start-up the ECU goes through a 'learn-mode' changing settings to get the engine to work as best it can and then storing these settings.

I'd suspect a fuel injection system sensor to be at fault - do a google search in the pug newsgroup or get a cheapy diagnostic tester to read the fault codes out of the ECU.

Reply to
StealthUK

The first ECU was reset before it was replaced. The reset made no difference. When the problems returned after the replacemement, it too was reset to no avail. Both ecus had no fault codes loged when the dignostic machine was connected up.

Reply to
No-One

idle control valve / stepper motor £70 new old one can be cleaned first. very common fault. suprised not changed first

simon

Reply to
SimonDS

It was. The ECU change was the last option on the list of possible solutions.

Reply to
No-One