Peugeot 306 radiator fan problems

Hi!

This is my first post on this list. I hope someone can help me. I am trying to help someone with radiator fan problems.

He bought the Peugeot 306 about five years ago (p reg .. early shape). Very soon after he had to replace the radiator thermostat. Since then he has had two new radiator fan motors fitted.

Last week he had overheating problems again so he asked me to help.

I found that the radiator thermostat was stuck shut so I replaced it. I also found that the fan motor was dead (checked it off the car). He said that the fan has always had the habit of coming on very early and staying on, even when motoring 30-40 MPH or more(not just stuck in traffic) but last week the car overheated and the fan did not come on at all.

I purchased another fan for him. Checked it before I put it in the car and it works fine. When I put it in the car though it did not work.

I then by-passed the thermostat switch in the radiator (thinking it may be dead) by short-circuiting the power from the feed wire to the switch down the switch wire - the fan still would not work.

I then (directly from the battery) sent a current down to the fan. It worked OK, proving that the switch wire and the earth is ok.

I then checked the power from the feed before it gets to the thermostat switch and it registered 17.5 volts but immediately I short cicuited the wire down to the fan, the voltage showed zero. Obviously this is why the fan is not working but what is causing the voltage to drop to nothing when the circuit is made complete?

Anyone any ideas please? Any help appreciated.

One more question.

Is the fan supposed to run if only the ignition is on without the engine running? Why I ask this is when I checked the voltage from the feed to the thermostat switch with the engine running it was 17.5 volts but only 1.5 volt when only the ignition was on (no engine running).

Many thanks

Terry

Reply to
TerryH